How do you get rid of fruit flies?

+4
We have a lot of critters (dogs, bird, geckos, chameleon, & a frog) and we need something that is not toxic to them.

• DesertRose DesertRose on Sep 25, 2017
    First put away all fruit, either in the fridge or in containers like plastic zip lock bags so no fruit is available. Second, Spray your drains (all of them even in restrooms, showers, tubs, everything) 2 or 3 times a day with Simple Green. It is non=toxic. Fruit flies live in drains if there is no other moisture available. Simple Green is both disinfectant and deodorizer. It will even kill something as big as a fly, I did it the other day when I happened to have the spray bottle in my hand and sprayed it near the sink. Simple Green is available in the auto/camping/boat section of Walmart in the concentrate bottle. 1 part Simple Green for 8 parts water. (one bottle lasts me a year or more). I use it for everything because it is non-toxic. Menards has both the spray bottles and large concentration bottles where they sell all cleaning products. I bought 3 spray bottles from them and mix from the concentrate after that. It works, it will get rid of fruit flies. Spray drains once a week for maintenance after you get rid of them. I give 2 or 3 squeezes per drain each time.
  • Kay27246977 Kay27246977 on Sep 25, 2017
    i need an answer as well!
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 25, 2017
    Place bowls of apple cider vinegar covered in saran wrap and poke small holes in it
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Sep 25, 2017
    I keep a small bowl on the windowsill by my kitchen sink. It has about a third of it filled with apple cider vinegar, a squirt of dish detergent and another third filled with water. They love the stuff!
  • Carey Carey on Sep 25, 2017
    They like the vinegar a lot, the soap breaks the surface tension of the solution so that when they land on it they drown instead of just getting a drink!
  • Angela Angela on Sep 25, 2017
    I bit of left over wine works too. That way they die happy! 😉
  • Kat Allison Kat Allison on Sep 26, 2017
    I use beer and apple cider vinegar in a clear jar. Cover the top of the jar with aluminum foil. Poke a few holes in the foil with a sharp pencil. It will take a few days for all the bugs to get drunk and die.