Pamela Field
Pamela Field
  • Tulsa, OK

From BLAH to YAH! Raised Stencil Project

$25

Single dressers are my favorite project pieces. Their size lends them to many options for your home. Entryways, bathroom, or bedroom these smaller pieces with drawers offer a lot of function for very little space.
Also, they're quicker to do than a huge armoire or triple dresser. HA!
from blah to yah raised stencil project
A friend of mine was moving and offered this little chest if I'd move it. You bet! I brought it home and repaired a drawer guide, and lightly sanded and cleaned it, preparing for painting.
from blah to yah raised stencil project
I had this great little stencil with several different coordinating patterns I thought would be fun to use for the chest. Using an old credit card, I spread wall mud over the stencil and created a pattern. Allowed it to dry then lightly sanded the raised stencil, and removed all the dust.
from blah to yah raised stencil project
I covered the whole drawer front with gold spray paint and a top coat of polyurethane.
from blah to yah raised stencil project
Applied a thin coat of wall mud to body of the dresser. Rolled over it with a stencil roller with croc design and allowed it to dry before lightly sanding. Painted the body and over the gold on the drawer fronts. Using a wet chore boy sponge, I carefully wet sanded over the stencil to reveal the gold pattern.Brown glaze over the entire piece before finishing with a top coat of gloss poly.
from blah to yah raised stencil project
A long way from the plain white chest, this new finish will brighten a room.

• GMS

I'm confused, do you leave the stencil on it, is that what gives it the raised look? And if so then I assume you buy multiples of the same stencil? If I am wrong than I am misunderstanding what you did

• Sheryl

You place the stencil, then use any type of wall spackle or mud to fill the open spaces of the stencil as opposed to paint. I lift immediately, wash off the stencil, then lay it again. Wall mud is a compound used for drywall seams, or to patch cracks in the wall. My personal favorite is the fast drying spackle, which comes in several brands. This is as easy as using paint with a stencil and will make you smile every time you see it. I used this technique for a border in our bathroom.

• JoeAnna Taylor

Fantastic save! But what is WALL MUD? I really want to try this, too !

• Trish Sykes

For those of us in the UK - what IS 'wall mud' and what IS a 'chore boy sponge'? The result is absolutely stunning but, I fear, beyond my capabilities!

• Sheryl