Get an Amped Up Gorgeous Lawn Quick & Easy

$100
1 Day

Fall is the best time to get that lawn in gear and choke out those weeds!
Our yard, both back and front, are a constant struggle for us, as evidenced on my many blog posts over on Flipping the Flip.
We bought from a flipper who left us a sad, barren, and dusty front yard plus a weedy ugly mud patch in the back. We've been steadily trying to get things in gear for four years now.
Four years?!, you exclaim. Yeah, well, we don't always have time to give the yard the shot it deserves or it's the wrong season, aka winter.
But this year, I made a bigger, better attempt. After researching online, I devised a plan for overseeding. All I bought?: grass seed, compost, and fertilizer. That's it. And the process is so super easy.
By the way, one site suggested mushroom compost but beware, some mushroom composts contain cocoa shells which can be harmful or fatal to dogs. I did not buy mushroom compost.
I started in the front, spewing grass seed all about. Next I spread the compost as best I could (it was so drenched from being stored outside at the store, it was near impossible to work with). Yeah, here it looks like the dog uh, had a lot of business to take care of when in fact, it's wet clumps of compost.
The compost will act as a soil amender, adding nutrients and improving drainage as well as keeping the soil damp to encourage seed growth.
Next I tossed around some Milorgranite Organic fertilizer (pet safe, thank you!) and stretched some bird netting over the area. Add some water and wait.
In the back, the same routine minus the bird netting as the dog does need somewhere to go. As such, yes, we've both been chasing little seed eating vulture wrens away constantly.
Be sure to note what is in your compost if you lamely purchase it like I did -- this stuff has cow poop in it which is a

• Nature's Care Really Good Compost  (Home Depot)
  • Midwest Masters grass seed  (Menards)
  • Milorgranite Organic Fertilizer  (Amazon)

Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Rosel Kynast

Becky, good luck with the grass. I did something similar in my back yard last month. Next spring be sure to put some fertilizer with iron and calcium on the lawn. I was reading the first application in spring should have the two lawn vitamins in the mix , it gives the lawn a deeper healthier green.