Judymgibbs
Judymgibbs
  • Tutorial Team
  • Charlotte, NC

Farmhouse Style Girls Bedroom Flip

$225
2 Weeks

This is my 2nd stenciled subfloor and my first attempt at a shiplap/planked feature wall and it was great. All for around $200. Hope it will inspire you!
farmhouse style girls bedroom flip
This is the finished room. Now let me show you how to create this look.
farmhouse style girls bedroom flip
I started by removing all of the carpet and padding. Takes about an hour. It helps to use a box cutter and cut it in 3’ wide strips. It will make it easier to roll it up and tie a string around it and take it out!
Next I lightly sanded the plywood subfloor. I used a nail pinch and made sure there were no nail heads sticking up. I used a floor caulk to fI’ll in the spaces around the boards and filled in the nail holes. Last I did a final overall sanding to make sure everything was ready to prime.
If you are wanting to put a fresh coat of paint on your walls or ceilings now is the time to do it. I decided to change my wall color from pale yellow to a light gray and I used an egg shell Valspar paint from lowes. I also decided to paint the trim with a fresh coat of Valspar white semi gloss paint. Oh... I also cleaned the paddles on the overhead fan...that way you won’t have that mess on your new floor or bed!(hint hint)
The next thing is primer. I put 2 coats so I had a smooth service.
farmhouse style girls bedroom flip
I went to lowes and got 3 - 4x8’ sheets of 1/4” plywood (or you can get leuon ) and I had them cut them into 8” wide strips. ( they cut them at no charge ). I painted them before I started putting them up. Use a nickle for spacing. It is a good idea to paint a 1-2” stripe above each plank before you attach the next one. I started at the bottom and worked up. I put spackle between the ends of the boards so it would not give a “pieced it”. I wanted the planks long and seamless. I used a brad nailer to attach them but a hammer and small nails work just as good.
farmhouse style girls bedroom flip
Now it is time to work with the floor. I used a flat exterior paint for the base coat and the stenciling. I did a sample board so I knew what color combinations I liked the best. After my base coat was dry I started stenciling in the farthest wall from the door. I started in the middle of the wall so my side walls would look the same. The stencil is called Moroccan and I ordered it online from Cutting Edge Stencils.
farmhouse style girls bedroom flip
farmhouse style girls bedroom flip
farmhouse style girls bedroom flip
When you finish the floor you will need to get a good semigloss sealer. I put down about 4 coats to protect it from being scratched.
farmhouse style girls bedroom flip
I wanted that farmhouse look so I went to a flea market and found an old white wrought iron bed and I painted it a dark gray.
farmhouse style girls bedroom flip
I tried several different color combinations and settled with the pink and gray. I have realized through doing this that for me... if the room paint and floor paint stays neutral then all the colors you decorate with will pop. Best of luck with your next diy project!

• Melissa Murray Yncera

where did you get the bed? love it all!
    • Judymgibbs

Thank you. I got it at a flea market. Paid about $30 for it.
  • Terry Gregory

How well does a painted floor hold up? Doesn’t seem like it would be very durable.

• Emily Ann

I’ve done this in my downstairs half bathroom (that gets a ton of traffic) and it’s held up great over a year later! Not a single scratch

• Sunny

Hi, love the whole room, but need to know if there is a sealer which dries faster? Would love to do my bathroom, but can't wait 12 days to have it completely finished. LOL!!

• Judymgibbs

I used a water based sealer. It should dry faster becausr your house is heated in the winter. I would give it 24 hours between coats and you will be fine! It was hard to see if I missed any spots because it is clear. Put a light or flashlight in the room so you can see where it shines and where it it doesn’t. Best of luck!

• Kathy

WOW! What a great transformation..love the wall and your helpful hints..and the floor..is amazing..you’ve really got talent...thank you for the details and tips!

• Sally

Turned out very nice. Thanks for sharing!