How to Build A Simple Garden Path

$500

Our Verandah opens out to the back garden and we wanted to add a simple garden path out to the large round garden in the middle of our backyard. We have some simple steps on how we created the garden path.
how to build a simple garden path
Materials Used:
  • Timber to frame the path/edging peg/nail
  • Garden pavers
  • Toppings (Dromana toppings)
  • Whacker
  • Hammer
  • Wheelbarrow or bobcat, rake, broom and shovel
  • Water
  • Tape measure/marker
Saw to cut the timber to size
how to build a simple garden path
Measure and cut the timber to frame your garden path and fix into place.  You can use a garden edge picket from your local hardware store or simply nail into place at either end.  Measure out the placement of your pavers and mark the timber for the position of where you will place them.  This will help you see where they have to go back for final placement after you take them out to fill in the base.
how to build a simple garden path
Remove the pavers and start to fill your path with half of the toppings only and then place your pavers into position, referring to the markings you made on the timber edging.
how to build a simple garden path
Once in position place the remainder of your toppings over the path, rake the toppings evenly over your path.  Lightly spray the path with water to settle the toppings and use a whacker to compound the toppings.  If you don’t have a whacker, you can use a piece of heavy timber to compact your path.  Once the toppings have settled in you may need to add some more.
how to build a simple garden path
This was such a simple and easy path, we have used the same style at the front of our home with boxed hedges either side of the path leading up to the front door and also along the side of our house.
S

• Janet Harris

Shouldn't you have put some weed control down first, to stop the grass & weeds from growing through?

• S

We are not fighting any weeds, the toppings have been compacted down with a wacker.

• Mary Howard

A great job. I see you used packed sand. Will it wash away when it rains?

• Karen

Are the "toppings" gravel, pebbles, or some kind of sand? Very nice project though as a few others have said, if this was my back yard, I believe I'd make an opening in the shrubs and add a bench. But it's your yard so you get to do it as you please  !!!

• RBE

I “Love“ your project. I think it is perfect as is. Thank you so much for sharing!!

• Pat Starks

LOVE THIS !! :)