Heirloom Christmas Stockings

$8

When we cleaned out the farm I found several quilts my Dad had been using in the shop to cover engines, tools.....you know the important things (to him).
These quilts were made by my Grandmother, his Mother,
which he ended up with when we cleaned out her farm many years ago.
heirloom christmas stockings
I have no idea what shape they came to him in but it broke my heart to see them being used in such a way. They were filthy and smelly.
heirloom christmas stockings
I wanted to "do" something with them, but they had to be washed first. The fabric was pretty rotten on most, but they were useless the way they were.
heirloom christmas stockings
So I washed them on the delicate cycle. One shredded, one came through better than imagined. You know us crafters, we use everything! Even scraps :-)
heirloom christmas stockings
But the project I really wanted to accomplish was to make Christmas Stockings for my kids. I had the idea to use the quilt from their paternal Great Grandmother.
heirloom christmas stockings
My Mom's Grandmother did beautiful crochet work. I thought I could use some of her smaller works to cover any bare or stained spots and embellish the front of the stockings. I even ended up using some lace she crocheted for the cuffs.

heirloom christmas stockings
Thus the stockings would be made from both of their
 talented Great Grandmothers.
heirloom christmas stockings
I had just enough of the better quilt to make the 4 stockings I needed. But I needed to make one for Izzy.
In my stash I found a small pink rag quilt, so I used that for hers.
heirloom christmas stockings
I found a stocking template online, printed it out and used it as a guide to cut out all the stockings.
Now I don't have a sewing machine, wish I did!
So I just did a blanket stitch all the way around.
I found silver initials at Walmart for $.99, which I added to the stockings.
I thought white bells would look cute on the toes.

For more info: http://dragonflytreasure.blogspot.com/2015/12/heirloom-christmas-stockings.html
Debbie / Dragonfly Treasure