Recycled Small Cable Spool

$5

So the Hubs brought me two cable spools home from a job site. He knew I would love them because they were so rustic looking :-). He was right, I just needed to figure out what to do with them.
Cable Spools
I pondered for days trying to figure out something to use the spool for. I had just recenly purchased a sign to hang near my coffee pot that read “First I drink the coffee, then I do the things”. I placed it on the wall by my coffee pot but just felt it was missing something. I had needed a place for my coffee mugs (of which when it comes to mugs I am a hoarder haha). So laying in bed one night I wake up at 2 a.m. and scream, ”coffee station”!

Cardboard
The center of the cable spool was cardboard and you could tell it had been wet once or twice. So the Hubs cut me a piece of 4x4 to use as the center. Yes!! An even more rustic look!
4x4 Center
Here she is with the 4x4 piece. The Hubs attached it by using some rusty nails I had in my stash! I gave it a good cleaning with TSP.
Wording on top “Priority Wire and Cable Inc.”
I did not sand the words off because they gave it the rustic feel I was going for.
After Stain
I gave it a good staining with Dark Walnut stain by Minwax.  Then I used Minwax Polycrylic to seal it good.
Hooks
I ordered this set of hooks from Amazon. Cost about $9 bucks and I had some left for a later project. Score! I took four and screwed them into the top piece of wood, leaving enough space so that the mugs would not touch.
Coffee Station
I scored the four coffee mugs from my local Good Will, 4/$1. I swear they looked brand new and they have a cute decor under the rim.  This was a very easy project. Took about 30 minutes to complete!

25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Christina Faye Repurposed

• Jewellmartin

How did you seal the peeling cardboard? I hadn’t seen a spool that size. It’s perfect for a coffee station. You should be able to pick up a lazy Susan you could set the station on and have easier access to the back. I really like your 2 a.m. Ingenuity. 😇
  • 62q10370829

Did you put your sugar & dry cream on bottom with spoons in coffee cup?
  • Jan

so cute. does it spin ?

• Kat

How dear a project! Thank you for sharing your little corner of heaven.

• Patty

Never seen one that small. Cute,creative cup holder.