Wendy
Wendy
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Far Rockaway, NY

Yarn Art!

$40

My love for macrame and the desire to add texture and warmth to my bedroom led me to this project. Each time I see a hanging yarn art I fall in love, and because I dont have incredible macrame skills, I decided to make one of these!
yarn art
I had an unused broomstick hanging around which I decided to use as the rod. Then I picked up some yarn at the craft store (choosing only 3 colors was DIFFICULT!).
yarn art
Just like a snowflake, each yarn art is different and unique. I decided to start with the navy yarn to use in the center of the piece. I then cut about 20 pieces at around the same size. (The uneven-ness of the strings gives it character!)
yarn art
To begin, simply begin attaching the strands of yarn to your rod or dowel using slip knots.
yarn art
The slip knot gives the yarn a clean look around the dowel and allows the yarn to hang neatly.
yarn art
On to the next color- grey! I added two sections of grey, one on each side of the navy.
yarn art
Slip knots!
yarn art
Then, to add an interesting element, I decided to braid the grey sections.
yarn art
Once the grey sections were braided, I added the last color, to the ends. It looked like it needed something else, so I added an additional grey section the each end.
yarn art
In order to hand the wall art on my bedroom wall, I decided to use twine. I wrapped the twine to each end of the broomstick and then hung it up with a command hook.
yarn art
Here it is!
yarn art
yarn art
It adds a real cozy feel to my bedroom and it was really fun and relaxing to make.

• Lori Mcsweeney

My aunt gave me a gold/black comforter set and I’ve had a heck of a time finding something to decorate the walls with that matches. This is so perfect and just such an easy idea and I can’t wait to try this. Just one question do you think it would look ok to have the yarn go the whole length of the stick? So only the ends of the stick would show? Or do you think that would be too much?? I know sometimes less is more so that might be the case here but what do you think? I really can’t wait to do this.

• Nana T

Try it and if you don’t like I take some of it off.

• Kit Glaser

Are the strands doubled (half)?

• Kaye

Hi Wendy I love textile crafts but struggle with getting them right. Can you please tell me the weight of the yarn you used? Thank You

• Dawnne Woodie

I am now making this item, and it is turning out quite well. I am using 94% acrylic, 6% rayon yarn, and it is 4oz, 113g. I've used a color called Port, along with Aspen Tweed, which is kind of a light grey with some black specks and then a color that escapes my memory as to its name, that is black, grey and a mauvish pink mix. I bought the yarn at WalMart, it is a Lion Brabd Yarns product with a label "Hometown USA". The Aspen Tweed is my center, and that is a large braid, with Port on each side, then the black/grey/mauve. My design is hung on a 3' long, 1/2" diameter oak dowel that was stained with a red oak color. I just wiped the stain on, and then just before it dried I wiped it and it left the dowel a dark brown woodgrain. I simply used a paper towel to do the stain, because that was what was handy. It turned out beautifully. My hanger will be the same yarn, braided together, and tied on each end of the dowel. I'll post pictures of it when it is complete.