All Things G&D
All Things G&D
  • Madison, WI

Reusable Disinfectant Wipes Made From Old T-Shirts

Not sure what to do with all those old t-shirts? Want to save money AND green your clean? These homemade disinfectant wipes (made out of old t-shirts!) are my latest obsession and take just seconds to make. Keep a jar in each bathroom for quick wipe-downs, and when you're done just wash and re-use! You'll keep disposable wipes out of landfills, and at less than $0.50/jar you'll keep some green in your pocket, too! clean
reusable disinfectant wipes made from old t shirts, cleaning tips, repurposing upcycling
Homemade Disinfectant Wipes:
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. vinegar
6 drops of lemon essential oil
6 drops of tea tree essential oil
Old t-shirts, cut up into wipe-sized rags
Container (I used a quart-sized canning jar)
Stuff t-shirt rags in jar. Mix water, vinegar and essential oils together. Pour over rags in the jar. Screw on lid and shake to moisten.
All the supplies you need to make your own all-natural, money-saving cleaning supplies! Vinegar is an all-natural cleaning and disinfecting powerhouse. It wipes out mold and soap scum, and inhibits the growth of mold, mildew, E. coli and salmonella – all for pennies!
Lemon and tea tree oils are great for killing germs, although I did read some information about tea tree oil being toxic to cats (which we don’t have) so please do your own research to decide which essential oils are a fit for your family’s cleaning needs. (Thyme essential oil would have been my second choice, fyi. Lavender and peppermint also sounded like excellent options.)

All Things G&D

• GrammaLee

Are the use of essential oils ... essential? ... they are expensive.. in my opinion

• Lisa Sinclair

Vinegar is a good diinfectant. But putting in the oils will really kick up the germ killing . And as far as the cost, you'll be amazed how little you need to use, and how long that little bottle will last you. I mine from my local health food store, cost much less than the bigger name brands.

• Jamie

I’m going to try this immediately!! As soon as I can get your answer ?