DIY Pallet Frame Bed

$200

Pallets are the perfect material for DIY projects. They are cheap, available, and simple to mount, which is precisely why I want to share a couple of easy steps for making your own pallet bed frame. Personally, I skipped some of the steps along the way because I found some healthy and undamaged pallets suitable for my “vision”, but I will provide full instructions to guide you. It will certainly serve as an inspiration. The best part about this is that stacking a pallet bed gives you a lot of options. You can make a unique piece of furniture that can also free up space and open up your room. So, let’s dig into the basic requirements.
diy pallet frame bed
The first thing you need to do is to gather materials. Since pallets are mostly used for storing and transporting goods, you can look for free or low-cost pallets at your local small businesses. They are often willing to sell or give away this material because they lack resources to recycle it. In some cases, they just throw them away.
diy pallet frame bed
Now it’s time to prep, clean, and grind pallets. Because I already bought pallets that were in good condition, I just did a little refurbishing and applied a fresh coat of paint. The color is something you need to think about as well.  
diy pallet frame bed
Tip: If you want the pallet bed to be slightly lifted above the floor, you can double stack the pallets or cut out a piece of the beam and attach it to the rear end of the pallet bed frame. Also, you can apply self-adhesive or other materials to protect the floor from scratches and damage.
diy pallet frame bed
Once you stack the pallets up in the order you imagined, assemble the structure. Be sure your construction is even and that it suits the mattress you are planning to use.

You don't have to additionally support the frame with screws, nails, and hinges like I did, because once you put the pallets in place you are good to go and place a mattress. But if you prefer this method, here is some additional reading material to help you do it correctly.

Good luck and have fun!  

Marija Milunovic

• Beverly Johnson

That's a pretty col idea. But if you have spinal stenosis like I do, it would be hard to get down that low. Is it safe to maybe make it 2-3 pallets high?
    • Fou27994472

I'm thinking I could place it on a frame built from 2x4s with 4x4 legs. It would allow storage bins or drawers beneath. Just an idea.

• Kelli

What size pallets did you use?

• Pam

How many would u need for full size bed. Love it nice job

• Hunter Hampton

That bed is the thing nightmares are made from. Just the thought of scraping your fingers when you tuck the sheets in. Gashing your ankles getting in and out. Sleeping almost on the floor, for heaven's sakes... it needs a boxspring.

• Patricia Arnold

While this might not be for everyone, I think it is a great idea and it looks really cool!