DIY Mirror Frame Makeover: Upcycled Pistachio Shell Mirror

$15

This DIY upcycled white mirror frame is a quick and easy makeover that you can complete in just a weekend! Plus, it's a real crowd-pleaser! People are always surprised when they realize how it's made...

Delicate and high-end looking, no?

Step 1: Spread the individual pistachio shells out on a drop cloth and spray paint them. The flowers are very difficult to paint if you assemble them first.

(I know from experience -- as you can see, the shells I used to make the flowers were not painted first. Big mistake!)

Step 2:

Assemble the flowers using hot glue.

Start by picking out three shells and putting hot glue on the right side of the inside of each shell (or left side if you are a lefty).

Assemble by tucking the outside left of one shell into the inside right of the other shell. In other words, make them overlap.

Add more shells until flowers reach the desired size.

Step 3:

Scuff the frame of the mirror with sand paper and paint it white.

Step 4:

Attach the flowers to the mirror using hot glue.

Step 5:

Fill in the spaces between the flowers with the remaining shells.

Step 6:

Enjoy your new beautiful mirror frame!

18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
One Big Happy Life

• Sandy
    Sandy

Did you coat this with anything when finished ? After a while I'm sure it gets dusty how is it cleaned, even a feather duster won't get into all those crevices you would have to get in with a q tip. Beautiful piece but i'm not sure it's logical for most homes.

• Johanne Palange
      Johanne Palange

A an occasional light brushing with a big makeup face powder brush works well. Fairly quick and easy but you have to do it before any dust sticks on.

• Rose Work
    Rose Work

Do you bleach the shells before you paint them?

• Pat Branson
    Pat Branson

Who knew something so beautiful could be made from pistachio shells?! You are so creative!

• Indre Koch
    Indre Koch

I've always thought the shells would be good for something; they're smooth and hard. Mind you, I was thinking on a larger scale, like flooring or some kind of wood-like product. Your project is beautiful, but my ADD would prevent me from completing anything like it. I do envy patient, artsy people!

• Lpi32173697
    Lpi32173697

I love it. It’s so unique and I hate throwing out those shells!!!