One Big Happy Life
One Big Happy Life
  • Washington, DC

DIY Mirror Frame Makeover: Upcycled Pistachio Shell Mirror

$15

This DIY upcycled white mirror frame is a quick and easy makeover that you can complete in just a weekend! Plus, it's a real crowd-pleaser! People are always surprised when they realize how it's made...

diy mirror frame makeover upcycled pistachio shell mirror

Delicate and high-end looking, no?

Step 1: Spread the individual pistachio shells out on a drop cloth and spray paint them. The flowers are very difficult to paint if you assemble them first.

(I know from experience -- as you can see, the shells I used to make the flowers were not painted first. Big mistake!)

Step 2:

Assemble the flowers using hot glue.

Start by picking out three shells and putting hot glue on the right side of the inside of each shell (or left side if you are a lefty).

Assemble by tucking the outside left of one shell into the inside right of the other shell. In other words, make them overlap.

Add more shells until flowers reach the desired size.

Step 3:

Scuff the frame of the mirror with sand paper and paint it white.

Step 4:

Attach the flowers to the mirror using hot glue.

Step 5:

Fill in the spaces between the flowers with the remaining shells.

Step 6:

Enjoy your new beautiful mirror frame!

One Big Happy Life

• Jean Nixon

This is lovely. May I copy your idea? I eat a lot of pistachios.

• Gilmer Gal

Pretty much anything you see that has been diy'd and is on Pinterest is open to copy! If something has a copyright, the blogger will let you know! So, copy away!!

• Sandy

Did you coat this with anything when finished ? After a while I'm sure it gets dusty how is it cleaned, even a feather duster won't get into all those crevices you would have to get in with a q tip. Beautiful piece but i'm not sure it's logical for most homes.

• Cia

Hair dryer on cool setting

• Rose Work

Do you bleach the shells before you paint them?

• Carol Smth

Have made a few wreaths like this. Ranging from 18" down to 10". Use Styrofoam rings. Painted the shells white, and used a brush to cover with Mother of Pearl paint. Glued pearls randomly around the wreath in the cupped shells. Hang with a pretty ribbon. Have it on the inside of our front door. Beautiful.

• Debbie

Bravo wonderful job. I would be pulling out my hair