DIY Painted Rocks

$10

I have seen so many adorable painted rock projects; I just had to give it a try Guys, I have been painting rocks for days. I had so much fun with this. I started out trying to copy some of the inspiration rocks I found, but eventually, I found a groove and came up with some really unique rocks!
diy painted rocks
I started out off simple with these easy printed word rocks.

diy painted rocks
There’s not much to these but painting a white background and then doodling with your gel pens once they’ve dried.  I love the idea of scattering these around town while you’re out and about.
To be honest, those didn’t really get my creative juices flowing.  There was something in the back of my mind saying, alcohol and sharpie, over and over.  But I kept thinking, NO!  I’ve done that on two different projects already.  I’m not doing it again.  Well, I lost out to the voice in the back of my head, because, well, see below.

diy painted rocks
Now that’s more like it!  That pinkish/bluish one above is my absolute favorite, by far.  I love it.  The astrological symbols (below) have also been floating around in my head for some time and they have finally found a place on these painted rocks.  If you google astrological symbol image you’ll find really simple representations of astrological symbols to copy.
If you need detailed instructions on painting with Sharpies and Alcohol, you can check this  post  out, but the instructions below will get you through. It’s very simple.
diy painted rocks
To get that watercolor/dreamy night sky effect, you do want to start with a white background.  I tried it without and it just didn’t pop.  So, step 1, paint a white background on  your rock and allow it to dry.  For a while.  Trust me.  Don’t start using your Sharpies when it’s *almost* dry or they will get white paint on them and you’ll be mad.  How do I know?  That’s right, I did it.  You’re welcome for making all of the mistakes for you first.
diy painted rocks
Once your background is dry, color it in with Sharpies.  I used purple, blue and some green and even yellow for the night sky and the pinkish/bluish one is a couple of different pinks, a couple of different blues, some green, some yellow.  Don’t worry, they will be ugly at first.  Step 3 will start to change that.
diy painted rocks
Start dabbing rubbing alcohol on the Sharpie.  Use a small paint brush, or even a q tip will work.  Don’t do a ton at first, just dab and see how it looks.  It’s easier to add more alcohol than add more Sharpie.  Let it dry and see what you think?  If you need more color, add more Sharpie.  If you need more blending, add more rubbing alcohol and dab away.

diy painted rocks
Once you’re happy with the coloring and the rock is totally dry, start embellishing with the  gel pens.  These  pens, you guys, they are so awesome.  They go on smooth and they are so saturated with color.  I used mostly silver but there are tons of different colors you can use.  You are going to love the pens.  I promise.  For the pinkish/bluish rock, I sort of traced some of the lines of the different colors on the rocks and of course, I used them to draw the astrological symbols.
diy painted rocks
Guys, this project was SO relaxing! I've decorated my window sills with these and I also sealed a few with clear nail polish to see how they do outside.
diy painted rocks
The rock above is the same sharpie technique, just different colors, lighter and brighter and I used the gel pens to sort of outline where some of the colors transition. That one is my favorite!

• Rocks
  • Sharpies
  • White Craft Paint
Marybeth Santos

1 comment
  • Bev Gastinger

THANKS FOR THIS INFORMATION, I'VE WANTED TO TRY SOME BUT DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO START. THIS HELPS ME GET STARTED.