Organize Your Linen Closet In Less Than An Hour

334 Views
Here are easy steps of how I accomplished organizing the linen closet in less than an hour and was still able to enjoy my Saturday. I promise, you can do this too
Time: 1 HoursCost: $20Difficulty: Easy
  • organize your linen closet in less than an hour
 Schedule it for a Saturday morning if you are a working human.  If you are a stay at homer, put it on your calendar whatever day you can fit it in.  Start first thing in the morning if you can.  
 Get 2 bags or boxes.  Label one Giveaway and the other Throw away.  There should be no explanation here.

Set a timer to 60 minutes.  I like the old fashion egg timers that are portable and you can actually keep an eye on how much time you have left.  It’s like your accountability partner and truly a race against the clock.  If you have any competitiveness in your blood at all, you will enjoy the satisfaction at the end of the race when you win. Ladies & gents, start your timers, GO!

Empty (5 minutes). Take absolutely everything out of the linen closet.  I had towels, Christmas pillows, tablecloths, sheets and who knows how many random pillow cases that I held on to thinking I can make something of them or when I have little ones running around the house again we can do pillow case races. 

Sort. (20 minutes). The time is now.  This is where you sort what you want to keep, throw away and give away what you don’t want to keep.  Don’t think about it too long.  Remember you are racing against the clock and it is a ticking away.  Hurry it up.

Organize. (20 minutes)  Separate everything in categories.  Sheets (Twin, Queen, King). Washcloths. Hand Towels. Bath Towels. Our upstairs linen closet only holds these items but if you have more items like we do in our master bathroom such as first aid, toilet paper and personal items then by all means if you aren’t using those 32 shampoos and conditioners anymore throw them away or give to someone else or else you may classified as a hoarder.

Label. (15 minutes).  Labels to me are essential, especially when you have little ones running around at home and their toys are spread everywhere.  You are teaching them to be organized at a young age by having a place for everything.  Having a bin or basket for all baby shampoos, soaps and lotions will make bath time easy.  The most helpful thing for me was organizing the different sheet sets.  

I picked up the label holders in a pack at Michaels craft store. Now, for those of you old enough to remember the vintage  buttoneer device you will appreciate that I held on to that gadget all these years for a reason.  Not only is it great for what it is intended to be used for, attaching buttons, but I used it to attach my label holders to the material that came in my wire baskets.
Once you have your bins labeled then you are ready to put all of your organized items in the matching bins. You are done, my dear.  Congratulations!  You did it.  Now sit back and enjoy your work.  Don’t you feel so much better with that one closet tackled?  You are off to a great start of organizing the rest of your home

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 25, 2018 11:08 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Diane and Dean DIY

Ask a Question
    • Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut Hamburg, NY

Thank you for the inspiration! I need to do ours bigtime! I love the idea of setting a timer so you have to make quick decisions. Great idea!