When Function Meets Design|Adding a Pull Out Trash Can

$200

I’ve come to realize one of my favorite things in home design is creating something pretty AND functional. When those two components meet, that truly makes a house feel like a custom built home. Making a pretty space functional doesn’t have to be hard or expensive, you just need a bit of creativity. And that's exactly what I used to re-work areas in our home that needed help.

One of those areas was this “desk” space in my kitchen. And if the desk-in the-kitchen wasn’t reason enough to fix this space, my dog ransacking the trash can like it’s his full time job definitely persuaded me to get OPERATION TRASH CAN PULL OUT done! 

I sent the cabinet space measurements to the folks at Cabinet Now, who created the custom fit cabinet for me. They also helped me match the door to my existing cabinets. In just a couple weeks I had some “happy mail” on the porch!

The cabinet showed up in pieces but each piece was well labeled. Everything easily went together with wood glue and a brad nailer. This cabinet is well designed and strong!

Once the cabinet was built, I removed the “desk” pieces while supporting the countertop then shimmied the new cabinet into the space.

With the cabinet in place, I installed the pull out trash cans – one for trash and one for recycling. Simple installation, just 4 screws!

I used scrap pieces of toe kick and baseboard as trim then added the door. I painted with the same method I had used on my other kitchen cabinets (see how on my blog-link below), then added the matching handle. Finished!

Click on my blog link to see more

👇👇👇👇

http://www.rootsandwingsfurniture.com/blog/pullouttrashcan

Please sign up for my emails and follow me on Facebook @RootsandWingsFurniture to see more of my home projects! 

Jenni Ingram

• Sop32019399

This is a great technique! what is the “fabric medium” you added to the paint?

Thanks!

• Bluefly

Board and batten (Under the Faux Mirror/Window)

Mentions fabric medium

• Sop32019399

Thanks!

• Jeanne Martin

No one used nor mentioned fabric medium. You may have posted your question on the wrong project as this post has nothing to do with fabric

• Wanda Woolard

Love your cabinet and your coffee station. Your end product is beautiful. My question is flooring in hall area. It looks different in photo with box containing new cabinet. Looked the same in before and after pages. Just curious! Love your redo.

• Lisa Waddell

Great job!!

• Sandra Bennett

Did this in my Kitchen but attached door directly to rack for containers with a handle at the top center. Can pull open without having to have space for a door to open .