DIY Entryway Shelf With Hooks

$50
1 Day
Advanced

Need some storage in a small space? Have a wimpy shelf like we did? This perfect solution is for you! Strong, study and adds tons of storage!
In our small front entry way we had added a little thrift store shelf and wooden pegs hanging right below under my favorite mirror. The pegs were sagging, the shelf was getting loose and we need up upgrade. Dave has his new yard sale table saw, and had bought a mini-nail gun. I looked a lot for something online that we could build and found this-  Twopurplecouches.com see next photo.
The inspiration! I loved the nice molding and silver nickel hooks. I asked hubby Dave to build it about the same width as the mirror that hung above. It would be sturdy and pretty simple. I wanted white paint as well. Dave went out shopping for lumber. It didn't cost much, so we decided to go with new wood. Didn't want to use recycled and have a problem later. About
Dave loved his new battery-powered nail gun, perfect for these kinds of projects.  He used a 1" x 6" and a 1" x 8" poplar board, and crown molding purchased at Home Depot. Unlike the design that inspired me we didn't add the 1/2 round on the top shelf on the front edge. The great thing is you can make it any size!
After Dave cut, nailed and glued the top and bottom board together. I chose three matte nickle heavy duty coat hat hooks. I found Liberty brand at Home Depot, the "value pack" was $8.99 for three. Here the unit has been sanded and puttied. Dave added the holes before painting. If there's a small mistake you can fill the holes if you do it before painting.
He also hid the screws for the wall under the hook brackets. Clever idea! I've never liked painting then drilling anyway. I like to paint, then be done. I bought a fresh can of Rustomleum white satin spray paint. I knew it would take several coats to really seal the wood since it was raw wood. Going into a high traffic area I also wanted it to be durable! I did 3 coats and let sit overnight to cure.
All done, hanging in the entry way! It came out great!
Put to good use, nice and tidy area. We use for tote bags, hats, scarves. I do a small season decor items on the shelf top.

• Coat hat hook matte nickel  (Home Depot)
  • Poplar board  (Home Depot)
  • Crown molding 1/4  (Home Depot)

Everything Red For Canada Day
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Little Homestead In Boise