Hanging Solar Mason Jar Lights: Dollar Tree DIY

$4

Hello there! I'm excited to share how I made solar mason jar lanterns with Dollar Tree supplies. I really wanted solar lights in our backyard, but they can be so expensive for attractive ones when you have a lot of ground to cover! Dollar tree solar lights are tiny, and flimsy by themselves so I didn't think they were a good solution. I have seen several different versions of diy mason jar solar lights around Pinterest and I was thrilled when I found the materials at a local Dollar Tree to make my own version of these beautiful​ hanging solar mason jar lights for just a few dollars!

The day I was at Dollar Tree, they had red, clear, and blue Mason jars all ready to go WITH metal handles. Unfortunately, they had very few clear ones left. If you can't find the hanging jars at your local Dollar Tree, you can just purchase a pack of masin jars with lids, and buy these simple jar hangers. If you use a coupon in store, they are a better price at JoAnn Fabrics. The Dollar Tree Jars were plain, so it will look nicer anyway to use regular jars that say Ball or Mason. You could also make your own hangers with wire! Either way, these mason jar lanterns are still super easy and affordable to make!
See the full tutorial with a complete supply breakdown to make these simple lanterns on the blog!
Remove the stakes from the solar lights.
Slide the solar light into the canning rim lid until it is nearly flush.
Hot glue or silicone caulk around the top rim circle where it meets the light.

Update: If you leave these out for months and months like I do, definitely go with silicone! The hot glue held up, but I had water leakage issues with hard rains. Or to really simplify this project, there are  mason jar solar lids available now in packs of six for a very reasonable price!
All lit up and ready to go in the back garden!

• Shepherd's hook plant hangers  (Dollar tree)
  • Mason jars with hangers  (Dollar tree)
  • Mason jar lid rims  (Amazon)

Joy Elizabeth

• Nancy

How do you keep water (sprinklers & rain)out of the jars?

• Joy Elizabeth

Hello Nancy! I use a silicone caulk now instead of hot glue, this makes them water tight!

• Dixie hines

sorry, I meant what did you put inside to make it light up from the solar power.