Planter Repair and New Home

$10

Well, Spring is here and we have been getting some great weather. time to think about sprucing up the yard. My son’s friend was here and had these in the back of his truck. Of course I asked what he was doing with them ‘Oh gonna Trash them one of them is blown out on the side” he graciously gave them to me rather than find a way to get rid of them. That is how I got started with this project. With a little all purpose gorilla glue some tooth picks, henry’s Lightweight concrete and paint I had a vision and it was easy.
planter repair and new home, The blown out side of resin planter
The blown out side of resin planter
The one corner of planter was damaged the worst, so I went to work with my gorilla glue.
planter repair and new home, Gluing and fillling in gaps
Gluing and fillling in gaps
I started gluing lose spots and filling in gaps with glue took toothpicks and jammed them into deeper areas and just snappped them off inside. I used ducked tape to secure in place.
planter repair and new home, Sanded off access glue
Sanded off access glue.
Once the glue was dry I sanded off the excess glue and areas that I would be filling with lightweight concrete.
planter repair and new home, Here my little helper
Here my little helper
Gorilla glue expands when dry. I just took a sanding block to the raised areas and it was ready to go with the lightweight concrete
planter repair and new home
I really didn’t care for the color they were and I knew it needed to be brighten up.
planter repair and new home, Here is what the concrete looked like done
Here is what the concrete looked like done.
I applied about 3 coats of lightweight concrete as it dried to add the groves and smoothed it with my fingers.
planter repair and new home, Sanded lightweight concrete to prep for paint
Sanded lightweight concrete to prep for paint
Once it was all dry i sanded with a sanding block and wiped it clean before painting
planter repair and new home
you can hardly tell it was damaged after my repairs
planter repair and new home
I had some Krylon fusion paint for plastic and went to work.
planter repair and new home, Blue really updated them
Blue really updated them
This was really an easy save the most time spent was waiting for glue and lightweight concrete to dry.
planter repair and new home, Now just waiting for planting season
Now just waiting for planting season
they are waiting for planting season.
planter repair and new home, Beautiful
Beautiful
I love the way they turned out! Now if I could just hurryup the cold weather so I can plant in them!

• LAM

What was the exact exact blue color paint ? ASAP

• Teri Day

That was my first question also . . . love that blue !!!!

• Leah Aaron

Hi Ruth! Do you think that cement product you used would work on a birdbath? It has become gravely and has some cracks

• Ruth

I will fill first with a bonding compound otherwise it will crack again.

• Maggy

The planters appear to be resin. If so, resin could be used to fill cracks. I'm just confused. You used concrete to fill, but plastic paint to color. Seems like they must be resin, basically plastic. When water is introduced, is the concrete going to stick to the plastic?

• Ruth

I found mine at Home Depot. I had to ask because it was not anywhere I thought it would be. Henry’s lightweight concrete.

• Sarge

They turned out great!! Love that shade of blue.

• Ruth

Thank you, now if I could just get them planted!

• Sarge

Well we are just a mess, i have the plants ready to go and You have the planter!!