Teri.jeffrey
Teri.jeffrey
  • Tutorial Team
  • New Port Richey, FL

Blue Bayou Button Box

$3

Almost every woman has (or has a memory of) her mother’s or grandmother’s button box. My button collection has been stored in several envelopes or drawers waiting for the time & inclination to find them all and create an artsy container for them.

With the arrival of my FolkArt Blue Bayou Dye, it was the perfect inspiration to complete the project.
Dye to the Box
Dye to the Box
I’ve had this small wooden shaker style box in my craft stash for ages. It was the perfect size and, after testing the dye on the top, it was time to color it Blue Bayou.
Dye & Wax
Dye & Wax
After applying the dye to the box and lid, I let it dry completely before applying Annie Sloan Soft Wax to give it a protective coat. I did not dye the inside top of the lid as you’ll see later.
Gilding & a Crown
Gilding & a Crown
By using gilder’s paste in silver, slate and patina, I was able to give the box a shading effect. Using a finger, I simply smeared various colors in a horizontal direction.

Recently I purchased 8 of the round wall plaques at a thrift store for $3 knowing that they could be used for numerous projects. I applied the gilder’s paste to various parts of the design.
Lid Lift
Lid Lift
Using a piece of remnant batting and fabric, I cut a piece to fit inside the lid. Because I wanted to be able to store a sewing needle in the lid, the batting made it easier to insert.
Fabric & Twine Time
Fabric & Twine Time
Fabric was also cut to size and inserted over the batting. To keep the batting & fabric in place, my hot glue gun was used to seal the edges with twine.
Crowning Moment
Crowning Moment
The medallion was hot glued to the lid. Then began the job of rounding up all the buttons.
Buttons in the Box
Buttons in the Box
Finally, my chaotic storage of buttons has now been organized into one box with a needle stored in the lid.
Blue Bayou Button Box
Blue Bayou Button Box
Decided to call this the Blue Bayou Button Box. It’s colorful, functional and decorative.

• Tom33117095

Both Sam's Clubs and Walmart sell wooden boxed cheeses like Brie (various box sizes/heights). Look for them. Also some deli sections in larger supermarkets sometimes have them.

• Barbie Hunter Fowler

Love this! My mother kept her buttons in a metal round box, so I really love this and want to make one!!!