Give A Thrift Store Tray A New Life

$10

I see wooden trays all of the time at the thrift stores and I wanted to make something fun using one of them. I decided a magnetic message board would be the perfect project.
This was my tray when I started. Cute right? As much as I loved the roosters and chickens I decided to paint over them. LOL!
I started by painting the entire tray black. I like to do this so when I distress the final paint color the black shows through not the light wood of the original tray. When the black was dry I used a pretty teal-ish color over the black.
I measured and cut a piece of cork to fit inside the tray leaving a little room on the sides for the burlap to fit.

This cork is thicker than the squares or the rolls you can purchase so readily. I got this at the thrift store too. It is about 1/2 inch thick so it fit nicely into the tray.
Then I cut a piece of printed burlap (larger than the cork piece) and wrapped it around the cork and used hot glue on the edges and on the back to keep it in place.
As I mentioned before this was a magnetic cork board so now I needed the magnetic part.

I have used hardware cloth in other projects so I cut a piece to fit over the top and fold over the edges. I use a board as shown below to bend the hardware cloth.
I used the hot glue to glue it all in place inside the tray. Then I added some twine with some small clothes pins and some magnet clips.
I love the way it turned out. It has a romantic, farmhouse feel to it and it works. I gave it to my neighbor and she loved it.
If you liked this up-cycled magnetic memo board you will probably like more projects from my blog. I invite you to sign up for my email/newsletter. You will receive weekly emails with all of my projects, printables and more!

Happy crafting!
Michelle

Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Michelle James

• Adina Fulsom

What is hardware cloth made of?

• Christine Cajigas

Michelle, this is a darling idea. I've never heard of hardware cloth☺, very cool. Where can I aquire this? I've held onto a package of baby clothes pins for years. Now I know how I can use them! Thank you so much😊. Happy crafting.

• Mary

I really like this. But wondering, why magnetic cork, isn’t the wire magnetic?

• Michelle James

Hi! The cork is not magnetic. I wanted to be able to use push pins and magnets so I added the wire to make it magnetic. I hope this helps.