Five Star Backyard Seating on a No-Tell Motel Budget

$104

These outdoor chaise lounges looked like the type of chairs that guy from Hotel Impossible would rant and rave about--then toss into the pool. "These chairs are filthy! They are rusty!" I can hear him hollering at some clueless hotel owner. "Would YOU sit in these?!"
It's amazing what a little Soft Scrub and spray paint can do!
Here's how I transformed these filthy rusty loungers into five-star backyard seating on a no-tell motel budget. Now they are for summer!
Outdoor furniture is almost as pricey as a living room set! I am way too cheap to pay that much for something that is going to sit outside in the heat, endure summertime thunderstorms and get stacked up in my shed all winter. My mom talked me into buying these lounge chairs for $10 each. Truthfully, I thought it was too much at the time until I saw how beautiful my mom's chairs just like them turned out after my dad cleaned them up and spray painted them sage green. Here are my mom's chairs:
I used Krylon Fusion spray paint in high-gloss red. This paint is great because it doesn't require much prep (other than scrubbing the heck out of these chairs because they were really dirty!) Krylon Fusion sticks to plastic and dries in about 15 minutes.
I flipped over the chairs and sprayed the bottoms first to get underneath all of those slats.
Look at the big difference already!
I bought 4 cans of spray paint for this project and thought that would be plenty... then I broke two of my three Very Important Spray Painting Rules. I ended up going back to the store for Can #5. My dad, on the other hand, always follows the rules and sprayed both chairs AND a small plastic table using only 3 cans.
Even so, I still spent less on two lounge chairs AND cushions than I would have spent on just one chair alone purchased new.
Here the are! Five star seating for my backyard on a no-tell motel budget!
BUDGET:
Chairs ($10 each) = $20
5 cans of spray paint ($4 each) = $20
Cushions ($32 each) = $64
TOTAL COST: $104
To see more of my DIY projects and learn my Three Very Important Spray Painting Rules, please check out my All Things New Again Blog. Thanks!

Courtney @ All Things New Again

• Bet8212509

What did your dad use to prepare the metal for painting? I have 3 tables where the paint is peeling off and don't know what to use/do prior to painting!
  • Cyn28601033

How do you fix the broken straps?
  • J

Are straps woven or the stretchable vinyl

• Joanie

Both sets are beautiful!! Pretty taste from Mom and daughter!!
  • Arnold Harris

The colors go well together. I hope the paint does not wash in water.