Mini Herb Garden

$28

I needed to contain my herbs and wanted them accessible year-round. My solution was a round planter and to load it up!
Total cost on this was around $28 - but I have most of the potting soil bag left.
mini herb garden
This is a stump that gets pretty good sun - we will add pots of flowers towards the end of May.
mini herb garden
Supplies pictured! 6 herbs in all! Thyme, sage, rosemary, dill, basil, chives. (I planted a total of 10 plants - 2 varieties of thyme & sage)
mini herb garden
I know - it's weird. I put a square of bubble wrap on the bottom to help retain some moisture in the coming summer. It pools some of the water in the bottom so it doesn't all run out the drain hole.
mini herb garden
I added a coco liner on top of the bubble wrap so the roots don't poke into the bubbles. Then I added some dirt & started putting the plants in. I went around the outside of the pots with herbs that like to spread out. I did indeed put the plant tags in the pot - easier for others in my household to identify what we have.
mini herb garden
Looks crowded a bit - but there's still room to grow!
mini herb garden
Here's the summer resting place for my mini herb garden. It looks lonely on the stump - I also will add more flowers around it as the danger of frost lets up. (It's still getting in the 20's here - weird spring)

• Veronica Risko

I would love to know where a bowl/pot can be sourced for $5. I have always paid MUCH more.

• Jennifer

I really suck at growing herbs. They get plenty of sunlight and I water them once a week but always seem to die. What could be the problem.

• Evelyn

Hi there, i can totally understand your frustration! I have planted basil and rosemary together and it is perfect! Watering once a week will not be enough - soil should never be totally dry! Good luck!

• Satiety

How about hollowing the stump sections and fill it with the dirt n plants?

• Sheila

I have done this but you need to water the plants a lot more as the stump takes the water. So what we did was inset pots in our stump with plants and it works better as we don’t have to water as much.

• Myron McCoy

Very awesome.. incorporating the beautiful stump is a great idea

• Candye

Following out a stump works great.! Ive done that many times. One of the biggest and best tomato plants ive ever grown was in one . Try it- you wont be disappointed.