Painting Wicker Chairs and a Milk Can Table DIY Bistro Set

$17

During our evening walk on trash day, I found two old wicker chairs with peeling red paint sitting by the bins. I asked Jason if he would go pick them up with the truck (even though he thinks I’m crazy to try to rescue them!)
They may look sad, but cleaning and painting wicker chairs will have them looking great to go with the painted milk can table I recently put together.
I cleaned the milk can with some dish soap and water and let it dry. Then, I went over the whole thing with Rust-Oleum Painters Touch in white.
For the table top, I purchased a ready made 30″ wood round at Lowe’s and stained it with  Minwax Jacobean. After a day, I applied two coats of gloss polyurethane. I used liquid nails to attach the wood to the milk can and it is finished. Easy Peasy!
To get started painting wicker chairs, I thoroughly scrubbed all the loose and chipping paint with a coarse dry brush. Next, I washed the chairs with the hose, letting the hose pressure help remove the loose flaky paint like a light power wash.

The next day, I applied a white spray primer. Once it dried, I applied several thin coats of Rust-Oleum spray paint in white.

See what I learned spray painting wicker chairs and more details on this project at

Joy Elizabeth

• Sarge

Love the whole makeover! I think it would pop even more if you had pillows that have (subtle) flowers with prominent brown branches... I think it would look great.

• Paige Jellison

I had to laugh when I saw this. Great minds think alike. I got two milk cans and two chairs for free (from different owners) off of a freebie site. I was unsure if I was going to do a coffee table and use both cans or a small round with one. I am glad to know how my project will look in the end.