Joy Elizabeth
Joy Elizabeth
  • Doylestown, PA

Painting Wicker Chairs and a Milk Can Table DIY Bistro Set

$17

During our evening walk on trash day, I found two old wicker chairs with peeling red paint sitting by the bins. I asked Jason if he would go pick them up with the truck (even though he thinks I’m crazy to try to rescue them!)
painting wicker chairs and a milk can table diy bistro set
They may look sad, but cleaning and painting wicker chairs will have them looking great to go with the painted milk can table I recently put together.
I cleaned the milk can with some dish soap and water and let it dry. Then, I went over the whole thing with Rust-Oleum Painters Touch in white.
For the table top, I purchased a ready made 30″ wood round at Lowe’s and stained it with  Minwax Jacobean. After a day, I applied two coats of gloss polyurethane. I used liquid nails to attach the wood to the milk can and it is finished. Easy Peasy!
To get started painting wicker chairs, I thoroughly scrubbed all the loose and chipping paint with a coarse dry brush. Next, I washed the chairs with the hose, letting the hose pressure help remove the loose flaky paint like a light power wash.

The next day, I applied a white spray primer. Once it dried, I applied several thin coats of Rust-Oleum spray paint in white.

See what I learned spray painting wicker chairs and more details on this project at
Joy Elizabeth

• Joanie

A REALLY pretty set of furniture.....love that milkcan!!!

• Sarge

Love the whole makeover! I think it would pop even more if you had pillows that have (subtle) flowers with prominent brown branches... I think it would look great.