Shelly L Nemeth
Shelly L Nemeth
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Gilbert, AZ

West Elm Wood & Rope Lantern Knock Off

$6

I was at West Elm before dinner one evening. I saw this beautiful lantern. It was $79.99 I just could not justify that price. I like Lanterns and think they can be used in many vignettes in your home from every day to holiday. Filled with decorative balls to candles. So I used the west Elm lantern as my inspiration to make this lantern. I new I could make this for a quarter of the cost. Lets get started.
west elm wood rope lantern knock off
What you'll need:
4-1x1 24" long
2- 5x5" squares
1-2x2' squares
4-1x1" Squares
4- small screws
2-1 1/8" hooks
2-5/16" hooks
1- furniture nail
1 yard in 1/4 in rope
2- Delrin Sleeve & insert
2- small pieces of cork
1- can of black and gold spray paint
glue, tape measure, piles

west elm wood rope lantern knock off
You'll begin by cutting all the wood mentioned above. Next you will sand any rough edges.
west elm wood rope lantern knock off
After all the rough edges are sanded we will paint the 4 1x1' at 24" all black I spayed mine to help speed up the process. You can always hand paint them if you don't have anywhere to spray outside. All the rest you'll paint a metallic gold I used Rust-Oleum.  
west elm wood rope lantern knock off
Now that you have all the wood prepped and dry, we are ready to assemble the lantern. For this you'll need some wood glue and nails or if you have a nail gun use that. It will also be helpful to have a tape measure and pencil.
west elm wood rope lantern knock off
start by gluing the edge of the 1x1" squares on to the 2x2" square recessed back from the edge to make a smaller square as you can see in the above picture. Let that dry
west elm wood rope lantern knock off
Next take the square and attach it to the top large square
west elm wood rope lantern knock off
Now let this dry completely
west elm wood rope lantern knock off
Once the top is dry add glue to the 1x1 and add to the top large square and use your nail gun or nails to secure it. Do this for every 1x1
west elm wood rope lantern knock off
Now that's all together you'll just need to add the rope and hardware  

west elm wood rope lantern knock off
This is what I used to create the rope and hardware, black rope 1 yard 1/4 inch, a furniture nail for the knob, 2 hooks to attach to the top large square, two smaller hooks to attach to those hooks. I used pliers to open and fasten onto the large hooks, I used a delrin sleeve & Insert 3/8 (found in Lowe's in the plumbing department) to insert the rope giving me a cap, and finally a piece of cork.
west elm wood rope lantern knock off
in this picture you can see the hook inserted in the cork, the cork then inserted in the derin sleeve.
west elm wood rope lantern knock off
I then attracted the rope holder I designed into the large top square on the side in the middle make sure you attach one to each side before gluing the rope on.
west elm wood rope lantern knock off
Now you will just glue in the rope after the hardware is attached to both sides. Now you are almost done I just took 4 small screws and added them on each end.
west elm wood rope lantern knock off
This is the West Elm wood+Rope Lanters - Black that is in store and catalog for $79.99 for the large and I made mine for $6. What do you all think? However, theirs did have glass and mine does not but really you could have glass cut and glue it in but I felt that there was no need for it because mine is just for décor purposes.

• Dahliaqueen

I live in NJ what is West Elm?

• Mcgypsy9

Founded in 1956, Williams-Sonoma Inc. operates more than 600 retail stores internationally under a portfolio of brands including Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Kids, PBteen, Williams-Sonoma, Williams-SonomaHome, West Elm, Mark and Graham, and Rejuvenation.

• Corinne

How much was the total for materials? And if there was glass to make it just like the 79.00 one?

• Rebecca

You can also scour thrift shops for glass from frames and cut your pieces to match the glass. I saw 4 narrow paintings(the paintings were meh but the glass would have been awesome) yesterday at the thrift shop up the corner from me.

• Irma

WOW that's awesome. Great job and looks. Easy. Thank you

• Lisa West

Very nice. You did a great job recreating an item. What are you going to put in it? One of those flameless tall candles would look nice and very classy or even an ivy of some sort. I'm gonna ask my fiance to make this.