Tennis Shoe Planters For Summer

$5
1 Day

This was actually part of a summer wedding movie challenge but I wanted to incorporate something colorful and fun for my garden.

I chose The Runaway Bride as my wedding movie and created some planters from my old tennis shoes!
These were my old shoes. They don't look too bad in the photo but they were bad. I had purchased new tennies about a year before so these were just sitting around waiting for something to happen. I decided to put them to good use in the garden inspired by The Runaway Bride.
After removing the laces I put them in the spray tent and went for it.
I wanted a fun color so I went went teal.
I used the (affiliate link) Krylon Chalky spray paint then when the paint was dry the Krylon Chalky spay wax coat got sprayed over the top. This made them a little more water proof for being outdoors all summer.
The white laces were added back in and then I gathered my flowers, succulents, potting soil, gloves and some plastic grocery bags.

The plastic grocery bags got shoved into the toes so I wouldn't have to use so much potting soil. Then I added the succulents and the flowers. It was sort of a tight fit but they looked cute.
I placed them in the little mini wagon so they wouldn't get lost just sitting on the ground. They were easy to water and the mesh on the shoes made for great drainage.
What do you think? I like that I up-cycled some old shoes and so far...they have held up well with the water.

If you like this post you will probably like more of my projects. Sign up for my email/newsletter and receive a weekly email with all of my newest projects and a few archives as well! When you do you can grab some free Birthday Card printables too!

Michelle James

• Do you think it would look good to do several different pairs of shoes in different colors to make more of an impact? Maybe stack cement blocks at different heights to place the shoes on? Would the plant filled shoes blow over?

• Mebellucci

I was wondering if when watered the soul discolored the shoes

• Penny

Love this idea and will have to do a couple pairs of my grandkids shoes give them back to my daughter in law as a gift thanks it a wonderful gift idea

• Jann Loyd

Quick question: do the plants grow root bound in such a small space? I have tons of old tennis shoes I would love to recycle this way.

• Pamela

OH I LOVE THIS!!! I just about threw out my old sneaks the other day, and now I am so happy I still have them. I will be doing this as soon as I can! I'm thinking of using different types of cactus by my front door because it is in full hot Florida sun all day. Thanks for such a cute idea.