Tennis Shoe Planters For Summer

$5
1 Day

This was actually part of a summer wedding movie challenge but I wanted to incorporate something colorful and fun for my garden.

I chose The Runaway Bride as my wedding movie and created some planters from my old tennis shoes!
tennis shoe planters for summer
These were my old shoes. They don't look too bad in the photo but they were bad. I had purchased new tennies about a year before so these were just sitting around waiting for something to happen. I decided to put them to good use in the garden inspired by The Runaway Bride.
tennis shoe planters for summer
After removing the laces I put them in the spray tent and went for it.
tennis shoe planters for summer
I wanted a fun color so I went went teal.
tennis shoe planters for summer
I used the (affiliate link) Krylon Chalky spray paint then when the paint was dry the Krylon Chalky spay wax coat got sprayed over the top. This made them a little more water proof for being outdoors all summer.
tennis shoe planters for summer
The white laces were added back in and then I gathered my flowers, succulents, potting soil, gloves and some plastic grocery bags.

The plastic grocery bags got shoved into the toes so I wouldn't have to use so much potting soil. Then I added the succulents and the flowers. It was sort of a tight fit but they looked cute.
tennis shoe planters for summer
I placed them in the little mini wagon so they wouldn't get lost just sitting on the ground. They were easy to water and the mesh on the shoes made for great drainage.
tennis shoe planters for summer
tennis shoe planters for summer
What do you think? I like that I up-cycled some old shoes and so far...they have held up well with the water.

If you like this post you will probably like more of my projects. Sign up for my email/newsletter and receive a weekly email with all of my newest projects and a few archives as well! When you do you can grab some free Birthday Card printables too!

Old pair of tennis shoes

Michelle James

• Do you think it would look good to do several different pairs of shoes in different colors to make more of an impact? Maybe stack cement blocks at different heights to place the shoes on? Would the plant filled shoes blow over?

• Mebellucci

I was wondering if when watered the soul discolored the shoes

• Penny

Love this idea and will have to do a couple pairs of my grandkids shoes give them back to my daughter in law as a gift thanks it a wonderful gift idea

• Jann Loyd

Quick question: do the plants grow root bound in such a small space? I have tons of old tennis shoes I would love to recycle this way.

• Michelle James

To be honest I am not a very good gardener. They were growing for the season. This may have happened toward the end of the summer but I only expected them to last for the season. Sorry I can't answer this any better.

• Parle

Well I’ll be - been trying to toss out an old pair of sneakers but keep retrieving them so guess I know why now. This is simply sweet and playful. The possibilities are endless - thank you for sharing and look forward to more of your projects.

• Mary DiGiallonardo

How CUTE! I love the idea of recycling the shoes. I have some old tennis shoes around here somewhere. I'll see if my kiddos do. Then I'll give them back to them for gifts. Thank you for sharing this with all of us!! ☺️