Garden Gate From Repurposed Vintage Wooden Door

$20

We replaced our back door while renovating our dining room, leaving us with a beautifully old solid wood door from the 40's. I saved the door knowing that we could use it eventually. Sure enough, not even a month later, an opportunity came!
garden gate from repurposed vintage wooden door
We built a fence to separate the back yard into two zones when we first moved into our home, one for our back yard and one for the chickens and any other fun animals we decide to add to our little homestead. We left a small opening in the fence near the house just the right size for a gate.

This is where the door comes in. It was almost the perfect size for the gate opening! All we had to do was trim it down to the right height and width using a measuring tape and circular saw, sand the cut edges with the electric sander, and attach the fence hardware (hinges and lock) that I picked up at Lowe's for around $18.00.
After the hardware was attached to the gate using the electric screwdriver, we used a level to make sure the gate hung straight.
I painted the gate with exterior grade paint that I had leftover from another project. I also added a 1" x 5" board across the top of the gate for interest. Lastly, I added a cute antique dachshund fence topper that I bought several years ago. I just knew it would be AWESOME for some project at some time! You know what I mean, right?!
And wal-lah! Beautiful garden gate for less than $20.00!

Thanks for stopping by!
Deanna
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 11, 2018 10:06 PM - More info
Deanna Middleton

2 questions on this project
  • Stevemar2
    May 15, 2018

I love it! We need to replace the front portion of our fence (at side of house) thanks to Hurricane Irma. We have a gate there that is used a lot and we need to replace it but everything is so expensive. This is a great idea. My husband thinks it would be too heavy to put doors up (we would probably need three). Have you had any issues at all? Thanks so much for the idea - it looks great!

• Deanna Middleton
      May 17, 2018

Thanks! No issues here on the weight at all. In fact, it’s lighter that the other gate we built out of 1x6’s using the same fence hardware. It opens and closes really smooth. 😊

• Mik4560177
    May 14, 2018

Do you have to put a sealer on it to keep from rotting in the weather?