Garden Gate From Repurposed Vintage Wooden Door

37K Views
We replaced our back door while renovating our dining room, leaving us with a beautifully old solid wood door from the 40's. I saved the door knowing that we could use it eventually. Sure enough, not even a month later, an opportunity came!
Time: 2 HoursCost: $20Difficulty: Easy
  • garden gate from repurposed vintage wooden door
We built a fence to separate the back yard into two zones when we first moved into our home, one for our back yard and one for the chickens and any other fun animals we decide to add to our little homestead. We left a small opening in the fence near the house just the right size for a gate.

This is where the door comes in. It was almost the perfect size for the gate opening! All we had to do was trim it down to the right height and width using a measuring tape and circular saw, sand the cut edges with the electric sander, and attach the fence hardware (hinges and lock) that I picked up at Lowe's for around $18.00.
After the hardware was attached to the gate using the electric screwdriver, we used a level to make sure the gate hung straight.
I painted the gate with exterior grade paint that I had leftover from another project. I also added a 1" x 5" board across the top of the gate for interest. Lastly, I added a cute antique dachshund fence topper that I bought several years ago. I just knew it would be AWESOME for some project at some time! You know what I mean, right?!
And wal-lah! Beautiful garden gate for less than $20.00!

Thanks for stopping by!
Deanna

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 23, 2018 11:16 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Deanna Middleton

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!