West Elm Inspired Insect Vase DIY

$10

I love looking through designer sites for inspiration! There's always a great feeling when you can get similar home décor looks by making it yourself for a fraction of the cost! West Elm is one of my go to sites for getting ideas - like this adorable, whimsical insect vase. Right away I knew I could make something similar.
West Elm Insect Vase
Would you believe I had an empty wipes container that I recycled that worked perfectly for the vase.
Let's begin by removing the paper label and cleaning the container, removing any glue residue. Next, wrap plaster cloth around the container to determine the amount needed to cover and cut off. Place cloth in water to wet and wrap neatly around container - with sides meeting and smoothing out the cloth.
This material is fascinating to use. The plaster powder on the cloth solidifies when dry into a nice surface.
Next, mix the plaster paris with water following directions. I used about 2 cups of powder to 1 cup of water to get a pancake-like mix for this.
Drop mixture by teaspoon into molds.
Once the spider molds are filled, tap mold on hard surface to settle mixture and remove any air bubbles.
Plaster paris dries quickly and the molds should be ready to remove in about an hour. Gently turn the mold over to remove the spiders, being very careful. The legs are fragile and broken spiders will happen! I was able to salvage most by gluing some of the broken legs back on.

Next, begin lining up the spiders on the vase, gluing them on with RapidFuse Multipurpose Adhesive or something similar that's a quick dry.
The adhesive dries in about 30 seconds, so it doesn't take long to add all the spiders. I used 45 spiders - 9 rows to cover this vase.
And finally, paint on a coat of non-yellowing varnish to seal the spiders and vase. How cool does this look!
This West Elm inspired spider vase is a great focal point for any décor . . .
and a very dimensional conversation piece!

Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Susan K Mullins

Will do! Will you please tell me how to start a blog?

• Debbie Phillips

I'm wondering if adding perhaps a printed paper napkin design onto the plaster cloth would work? I have a project in mind and I need more "texture" other than the napkin and thought this might work. Has anyone tried this?

• Kelli

or just use the napkin and modge podge it?

• Phyllis

I'm a Halloween nut. What kind of dye would I use to color the plaster spiders black? I'm getting excited about the possibilities!

• Nancy

After Halloween is the best time to pick up plastic bugs at a huge discount. Having raised a son who was fascinated by bugs, we had quite the collection. But, as Robyn said, you could just buy them at the Dollar Store.

• Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

I think it would be really cute with just about any motif besides spiders or snakes. 😉

• Ellie

Can u paint this.

I thank you for sharing. Great job and great job With explanation. 😊

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Thanks, Ellie! Yes, it can be painted in any color. Since the container is plastic, chalkpaint or a paint made especially for plastic would be best. Any other type might flake off.