West Elm Inspired Insect Vase DIY

43K Views
I love looking through designer sites for inspiration! There's always a great feeling when you can get similar home décor looks by making it yourself for a fraction of the cost! West Elm is one of my go to sites for getting ideas - like this adorable, whimsical insect vase. Right away I knew I could make something similar.
Time: 2 DaysCost: $10Difficulty: Easy
Would you believe I had an empty wipes container that I recycled that worked perfectly for the vase.
  • west elm inspired insect vase diy
Let's begin by removing the paper label and cleaning the container, removing any glue residue. Next, wrap plaster cloth around the container to determine the amount needed to cover and cut off. Place cloth in water to wet and wrap neatly around container - with sides meeting and smoothing out the cloth.
  • west elm inspired insect vase diy
This material is fascinating to use. The plaster powder on the cloth solidifies when dry into a nice surface.
  • west elm inspired insect vase diy
Next, mix the plaster paris with water following directions. I used about 2 cups of powder to 1 cup of water to get a pancake-like mix for this.
  • west elm inspired insect vase diy
Drop mixture by teaspoon into molds.
  • west elm inspired insect vase diy
Once the spider molds are filled, tap mold on hard surface to settle mixture and remove any air bubbles.
  • west elm inspired insect vase diy
Plaster paris dries quickly and the molds should be ready to remove in about an hour. Gently turn the mold over to remove the spiders, being very careful. The legs are fragile and broken spiders will happen! I was able to salvage most by gluing some of the broken legs back on.

Next, begin lining up the spiders on the vase, gluing them on with RapidFuse Multipurpose Adhesive or something similar that's a quick dry.
  • west elm inspired insect vase diy
The adhesive dries in about 30 seconds, so it doesn't take long to add all the spiders. I used 45 spiders - 9 rows to cover this vase.
  • west elm inspired insect vase diy
And finally, paint on a coat of non-yellowing varnish to seal the spiders and vase. How cool does this look!
  • west elm inspired insect vase diy
This West Elm inspired spider vase is a great focal point for any décor . . .
  • west elm inspired insect vase diy
and a very dimensional conversation piece!
  • west elm inspired insect vase diy
  • west elm inspired insect vase diy

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of June 15, 2018 10:59 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Gail@Purple Hues and Me