Keep Pests Out Of Your Garden

$10

It's springtime here and I'm busy getting my garden and apple tree ready. I get those pesky rabbits, squirrels, voles, aphids, and more in mine during gardening season - how about you? I thought I would share a few tips on things I use to keep those pests out of my garden.

You can see more of my crazy creations here

keep pests out of your garden

I've had my garden in this home for about 16 years now. We have learned if you have rabbit around, you'll definitely want a fence that will keep them out! We bought this fence at our local hardware store and used screws and fence clips to attach it to our fence. Don't forget to block off gate entryways as well. I put a row of rocks on the inside of my gate so the pests cannot sneak underneath it.

keep pests out of your garden

Marigolds are amazing flowers and give off a terrible smell deterring rabbits and deer. My grandma taught me to plant these in my garden.

keep pests out of your garden

Animals don't like reflective things and get scared by movement. I put these simple pinwheels that I find at Dollar Tree to put in my garden to keep pests out.  

keep pests out of your garden

Irish Spring Soap will deter pests like rabbits, deer, voles... as they don't like the smell. I grate up some soap with a cheese grater.  

keep pests out of your garden

Sprinkle the shredded soap around your garden &/or flower beds.

keep pests out of your garden

Put egg shells in your garden - why? It's said to deter deer, birds eat them thus keeping them out of our plants, and they add calcium to your garden as they decompose. I use them to deter slugs, this has gotten mixed reviews but it seems to work for me.

keep pests out of your garden

I get voles in my both my vegetable and flower gardens almost every year. To keep them out I have learned to add moth balls to my gardens and it seems to keep them away. They don't like the smell.

keep pests out of your garden

Sprinkle red pepper flakes in your garden. It's known to deter rabbits, deer, skunks, raccoons, cats, dogs. It irritates their lungs and skin, and it will deter not harm animals.

keep pests out of your garden

Keep nocturnal animals away by adding solar lights to your garden.  

keep pests out of your garden

Use a dish soap garden spray to keep bugs like aphids, and beetles off your plants. Works on both vegetable and flower plants. Make a pepper spray to make your plants taste bad to those pest trying to nibble on your leaves. You can find my full tutorial on how to make these amazing sprays here - https://www.hometalk.com/28593963/save-your-garden-sprays

keep pests out of your garden

Feed those pests somewhere else to keep them away from your garden. I made this bird feeder by E6000 a cup to a plate. I put water in the cup, and birdseed on the plate. This keeps the birds away from my garden. You can set scraps of lettuce and other items away from your garden for other animals too. They'll get used to eating there so they won't have to go scavenge in your garden.

keep pests out of your garden

The squirrels in my apple tree make me crazy! They eat the bark off in the winter when they need food (as do rabbits), and they eat one bite out of an apple and throw it on the ground. GRRR. So I wrap the base of the trunk in tinfoil. This deters them from climbing up the trunk and they don't like how it's reflective.  

keep pests out of your garden

I also add these repurposed CD wind spinners along with bells, chimes, etc to my tree. If the squirrels jump on a branch the bells ring scaring them away, and the cd spinners reflect the light as well as create movement which they don't like as well. You can find my full tutorial here about these - https://www.hometalk.com/17259487/repurposed-cds-get-rid-of-critters-beautiful-wind-spinner

Now one tip I have is that animals will get used to the items you put in your garden to keep them out. I recommend moving things around every once and a while to change things up and throw them off.

I would love to have you stop by my blog    Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg

Chas' Crazy Creations

• Amber Woods

I would love to know if anyone has a trick for mosquito?

• Jesse

Use Lavender, Citronella, Floss Flower, Peppermint, Lemon Balm, Catnip, Basil, Mint, Citrosum, Sage or marigolds. They all work. Best to plant two of them in combination..like an inner ring .. and an outer ring of them....

• Raul Lozano

Will the shredded soap hurt my garden in case it was to rain?

• Mari Tarasovich
      30 minutes ago

No it’s fine for most plants. I’ve never had a problem with anything in my garden so far. I’ve always been told to use Irish Spring. I have never tried any other type

• Jannette

Ingredients for making mosquito repellant for large areas like yards and/or workshops

• Mary beth

Did you mean to attach a recipe for this or are you asking for the ingredients?

• Sharon Walden Tambling

Most all of your tips sound great, but I would urge you not to use moth balls in your garden! They contain many harmful chemical compounds that are TOXIC to both humans and animals. The carcinogenic correlation is well known. One of my family members loved to use moth balls and she died of cancer. Please use one of the many safer alternatives that you mentioned and urge others to do the same!

• Virginia-Ted Rye

yes I love your ideals. Marigolds work some. Solar lights seem like a great ideal. I love reading your ideals and trying them.

• Nancy

Re the marigolds: Chipmunks love the seeds the flowers produce; in fact so much so, that I had to stop planting them.