Decorative Window Shutters

$23

Outside my back door i have an alley-way that leads out to my back yard. Its dark and dingy and i wanted to brighten it up. I gave the whole thing including the ceiling a coat (or six!) of white outdoor masonry paint. It looked much better but needed some decoration.
The surrounding doors and window frames are all painted blue (courtesy of our local Council) and my son had commented that the colour scheme reminded him of those lovely little Greek houses with the brightly coloured shutters at the windows. This gave me an idea..
There is a window in the alley connected to a small shed used for storage, it's been painted over by a previous Tenant and i decided to see if i could find some shutters to fit.
Always on a budget my mind started racing with ideas on how i could make the shutters from junk i already had and a few days later i came across an old set of wooden Venetian blinds, they didn't fit any of my windows (i had picked them up in a second-hand shop some months earlier not realising they were too short for my original intended purpose (doh!)
I set about stripping the blinds so i was just left with the slats. I needed to half every measurement so i had enough to make a pair of shutters, then i began measuring and cutting, once everything was cut to size i gave them a quick sanding and painted them with some a matt gloss blue paint (the area they are for is not exposed to the elements so it didn't matter if it was outdoor paint).
Once the paint was dry i laid two of the longer lengths (the height of the window) on a flat surface and then slowly glued smaller lengths across these from top to bottom, (the wood is very thin and lightweight ) so gluing was all that was needed but i did put a screw in each corner to secure them to the walls and this strengthened the whole thing.
once the shutters were in place i hung two hanging baskets next to them to finish the look. I will also be putting a small table and chairs underneath and I am thinking about painting a picture on the window for a future project (any ideas welcome) but for now i'm just so glad the dark dingy alley is brighter and i'm quite proud of my junk shutters!
Hope you like it, below is a before and after with a few pics to show how i achieved the look. Thanks for reading

The dark dirty Alley i wanted to clean up and decorate!

first thing was scrubbing and painting..
Much better! Now for some decoration..
I found an old set of wooden blinds, stripped the cord out and cut to size
Painted them all..
started Gluing..
I laid another layer of slats all around the edge to tidy up the look.
Really loving them!  (I did drill a hole in each corner to strengthen the whole thing and attach it to the wall).
Finished!  
There are a few more bits i will add such as maybe painting a scene on the window and a small bistro table and chair underneath (my smoking corner...) I also have a stencil of some ivy leaves that i'm thinking of trailing around the shuttering using some green paint, maybe a window box with more flowers?
for now its much brighter and more pretty than i would have thought a dark dingy Alley-way could ever be, and so much nicer to see when i open my back door.
In all it took 3 days but only because of having to wait for paint and then glue to dry, actually hanging the shutters & hanging baskets took about 20 minutes.
Hope you like and i welcome any or all ideas you may have to add to this project.

The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash

• Catrina Taylor Duffy
    Catrina Taylor Duffy

Could you get any light inside by scraping the paint off of the window panes?

• Lisa West
    Lisa West

Yoir son is right. The area does look Greek like or Italian ancient time like. You did a wonderful job. I am thinking mir plants and lighting of course. String lights would look great and will make the space even more inviting. Now this space, is it for your entrance only or do other people access there home through this area to? Either way some nice lighting would be beneficial for this space. Once again it is very nice. Almost romantic lol.

• Zena walker
      Zena walker

thanks Lisa, sorry for the late reply bn very busy of late. Yes i share it with one other neighbour, its the route to both our back gardens but thankfully he's lovely and into the d.i.y hiself. This bit is right outside my back door so sort of classed as my little bit. Its now in need of a good tidy up as iv bn doing more work on the garden but want to try n finish the garden for summer n then itl be back to the alley way

• Teresa
    Teresa

I absolutely love this idea! Going to do this.