What's the most effective way to get rid of mice in the house?

+123
We seem to have some unwelcome Mickeys and Minnies in our house. What is the best way to get rid of them? We have kids and a dog in the house,
q what s the most effective way to get rid of mice in the house, pest control
  • Z Z on May 19, 2014
    I don't know if this will make them leave, as I'm not sure they can find their way back out, but 100% Pure Peppermint Oil (about ten drops) on cotton balls placed throughout your home, will keep them out. Rodents are allergic to peppermint and will steer clear of its scent as long as it's from pure peppermint oil. Not extract. It has to be pure to cause an allergic reaction. Whole Foods has the best price that I know of, but it can be found at health food stores also. To get rid of those you have now, you may have to use traps. Partially cooked bacon or peanut butter works very well to draw them to the trap. Place the traps along the walls behind furniture where your pets and children cannot get to them. Good Luck! P.S. We've used the Pure Peppermint Oil on cotton balls for a decade now and I can attest to how well it works, even living in the country surrounded by corn and bean fields.
    • See 1 previous
    • Z Z on May 20, 2014
      @Modifiedgirl by what I have read, all rodents are allergic to Peppermint. I cannot personally attest to that though. I know it has worked for the past ten years to keep mice from the inside of our home.
  • Adrianne C Adrianne C on May 20, 2014
    Cats.
  • Cortney Cortney on May 20, 2014
    If your dog is ok with it, get a cat. We have an inside outside cat. Takes care of the garden and indoors. The only little rodents we ever see are the dead ones she drops at the door.
  • Gretchen Gretchen on May 20, 2014
    We have many indoor cats and a couple of dogs. They only mice were they caught were the ones they saw but we could hear the mice running in the walls and ceilings. I tried peppermint sachets and those electric beeper machines. I finally called an exterminator. The mice were breeding faster than the cats could kill them. When I ran into a mouse coming into the garage when I opened the door and he just sat up and looked at me, that was it. The exterminator comes every few months, checks and restocks the traps if necessary, but recently there haven't even been any nibbles in the bait. Mice carry diseases and fleas and ticks. Their droppings can be dangerous. Get rid of the mice as fast as you can.
  • Stacie Vaughan Stacie Vaughan on May 20, 2014
    Cats were helpful for us!
  • Jan Kohlman Jan Kohlman on May 20, 2014
    I agree with Becky from NE that 100% pure peppermint oil (not extract) does work. We have had "issues" with the pesky little furry critters in the past, but since using the peppermint oil they have vanished. Instead of putting it on cotton balls, we used some cheap glass salt & pepper shakers from the dollar store, enlarged the holes in the tops of the shakers and put in reed diffusers then added the oil. The only problem for us with using the cotton balls is that you are supposed to add more oil to them daily. As our "happy place" is 200 miles away from home, that wouldn't have been possible. We've used if for 3 years now and it works like a charm!
  • Lisa Lisa on May 20, 2014
    i used the 100 % peppermint oil on cotton.. what do i find.. they pooped ON the cotton.. UGH1
  • Ida Ida on May 20, 2014
    Where can you find peppermint oil?
  • Denise Denise on May 20, 2014
    CATS, CATS, CATS! We live in an old farmhouse with plenty of entries for mice. We have 5 inside cats and lots of outdoor cats. Result: NO MICE!
    • See 1 previous
    • Denise Denise on May 20, 2014
      You are so right! Years ago I had some very lazy cats. We would close them in the room with the mice and they would scratch at the door to be let out and then run and hide!
  • Shelley Nelson Shelley Nelson on May 20, 2014
    Good ol poison! We had an infestation once when our kids were little and we had two dogs. My husband was against poison but I had had enough. I put boxes of it where our kids couldn't get it. Under our dresser in our room, behind our fridge. Never had another mouse again.
  • Lynn Lynn on May 20, 2014
    Figure out how they're getting in. Years ago my husband covered up a pipe that came from the attic to the outside of our house--some kind of vent--and he put screen mesh over the opening. He pretty much inspected every nook and cranny to see what he could do to plug up any holes, and we have had zero mice inside since. But voles? (field mice), they are eating our plants left and right.
  • Susan Susan on May 20, 2014
    First you have to search every area of your house to determine where these little guys are entering. These little holes, nooks and crannies are usually located under sinks, cabinets, etc. Once you find these openings, fill them up with stainless steel scouring pads. Works GREAT - better than any other method! Since using this method I've not seen a trace of another little critter!
  • Jeanette Sharples Jeanette Sharples on May 20, 2014
    snake poo is the best I put it where they come in and presto not a mouse poo insight for 4 months
    • See 1 previous
    • Jeanette Sharples Jeanette Sharples on May 21, 2014
      @Barbara Turner @a friend of mine has a snake so that's were I get the poo from or you can ask the local pet shop
  • PLEASE, PLEASE! NO POISON! You're not just poisoning mice, you are putting neighborhood animals and birds in danger! Any cat eating a poisoned mouse, or any of our wonderful owls and birds eating them will die also! We live in the country and don't like mice we that get in either But we won't risk endangering the owls and stray cats in our area - that's just plain irresponsible. Use peppermint or cinnamon oil, or human mouse "capture" traps and release them outside.
  • Rosalie S Rosalie S on May 20, 2014
    My cat has been a good hunter in the past, but now she's so old and slow, they would use her for a trampoline. My terrier, however, has taken up the challenge. I have an old house and mice would be a problem except for my little dog. I just have to clean up the carcasses.
    • Barbara Turner Barbara Turner on May 20, 2014
      @Rosalie S Yep, terriers were bred over in Scotland and parts of Ireland to hunt rodents - ergo, their name. terriers - terrors to the rodents. Jack Russell dogs were too.
  • Ida Ida on May 20, 2014
    @Jan thank you so much
  • Karla Minyard Karla Minyard on May 20, 2014
    Borrow a neighbors dirty cat litter & litter box mice think there's a cat
    • @Karla Minyard I have mice coming in my dog house some of my dogs won't let the cats in? Do you think this might work there to spread it around the outside?
  • Judy Judy on May 20, 2014
    When construction started up in our area, we were overrun with the little critters. We placed dryer sheets in our garage, out door shed, and where ever we thought they were coming in....in the spring we also planted mint around the outside of the house as they don't like it. So for the last 3 years we haven't had a problem....not even one,
  • Beth Beth on May 20, 2014
    I will ALWAYS try the most humane solution first. So simple, items we all have in our homes. Take an empty 5 gallon bucket, cover it with wax paper, place peanut butter, bird seed in the center. Find something they can climb up on. I happened to have a ladder from my bird cage.The mice will climb the "ladder" and when the walk across the wax paper after the food,they fall in. In the morning, just carry the bucket to a field, forested area, whatever. Best if done at night. Good luck.
  • Great idea Beth - I'll pass that to my hubby who has them in the garage, aka "man cave"!
  • Lorraine Lorraine on May 20, 2014
    Absolute BEST solution: The RAT ZAPPER! I agree with all of the above about finding where they enter, etc., and cats (or dogs) will sometimes solve the problem (dependent on too may factors, including their mood, lol), but this device works flawlessly! I love all animals, and hate killing anything, but mice infest and contaminate my food, so it was me or them. I won't use poisons (not only are they toxic to other animals, but they are blood thinners, and horribly inhumane, causing the poor creature to slowly begin to bleed to death -- it can take days--and then where are the bodies?), and trying to trap and release is a never-ending task. So I researched and found a totally HUMANE way of killing them. This battery-operated device electrocutes them instantly the second they step on the little plate inside the box. A red light flashes on top, and the little body can be disposed of by just dumping it out and disposing--no blood or mess, no touching anything. You bait it with any dry (NOT wet, like peanut butter), fragrant food--I use a few dog kibbles--put it in the suspect area (the bottom of my pantry), and I guarantee you will catch the offender(s) within hours to days (sometimes they need to get used to the strange object, but they won't be able to resist the food). Then re-bait (they never get to eat the food, so unless you dumped it with the body, you don't even have to) and re-arm! The first time I used mine, I caught 5-6 mice (who knew?) within a few hrs; since then I catch one every now and then, usually only when the weather changes drastically. The company that made them appears to have been bought out by Victor Pest, so now they are even easier to find: I found one on Amazon today for $36: <http://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-RZC001-Classic/dp/B002665ZTC>; There are videos on YouTube demonstrating them in use, and how quickly it kills the animal. One interesting accessory is a "mouse" on a long wire that attaches onto the device if you have to place it in a hard-to-reach spot. The eyes of this "mouse" flash red when there's a victim to be disposed of. I guarantee this will be the best $36 (mine cost $99, several yrs ago) you have ever spent for pest control, and you won't feel guilty anymore about it.
  • Lillyz Lillyz on May 20, 2014
    I have been at war with the mice for about 2 weeks now. I bought 6 of the no see traps and 2 of them were chewed through by the "super" mouse. I baited them with peanut butter. I said enough is enough and went to the hardware store and bought 2 of the old fashioned mouse traps. I also baited those with peanut butter. I put the traps where I was seeing mouse activity and Ive caught about 14 so far (didnt think my problem was that bad). I know its gruesome, but having them get into food or running across the floor in the night is even worse. Oh and I do have a cat, but he just bats them around.
  • Chris aka monkey Chris aka monkey on May 20, 2014
    we use the little mouse traps from walmart come with several in pack the just throw away trap and dead mouse xx
  • Penny Penny on May 20, 2014
    get a CAT! you wont see any more mice..
  • Karen Karen on May 20, 2014
    I have found placing a cotton ball that's been soaked by essence of peppermint keeps them out. Just have to replace it when the Oder has disapated.
  • Donna coronado Donna coronado on May 20, 2014
    Glue pads and dog food.
  • Melissa Melissa on May 20, 2014
    I have pretty good luck with peppermint EOs also, if you have a known entry point...they dont like steel wool....fill the hole with that and add the peppermint and it will keep them from chewing through...good luck!! (oh and also, peppermint oil is a deterrent for certain insects as well)
  • Gail lichtsinn Gail lichtsinn on May 20, 2014
    mice are allergic to mint and will avoid it ..Mice breed every 21 days..Those babies can then breed..I have no fear of mice but if you see one you have many..Mice carry bacteria on their feet from going through garbage they urinate on your counters..they chew wiring and carry disease that can make your whole family sick..Better to keep them out or destroy them....Sticky traps are inhumane..They cant move and sometimes take a few days to die..Get a trap that will instantly kill them..seems to me drowning is cruel too..
  • Vonzella Crawley Vonzella Crawley on May 21, 2014
    MY CAT HAS CAUGHT 4 IN THE LAST FEW SAYS WE HAVE HAD A LOT OF RAIN HERE SO I WOULD REALLY LOVE TO TELL YOU TO GET A CAT BUT THE BEST THING I HAVE FOUND IS THE NO KILL TRAPS IF IT DOES NOT BOTHER YOU TO KILL THEM THEN THE BLUE P IS THE BEST GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT DAY
    • Karen Miller Karen Miller on May 27, 2014
      @Vonzella Crawley My cat is useless. When he hears the noise of a mouse (in the wall) he sits there and follows it with his eyes but if he ever seen one, he wouldn't care. He only swats at flies and eats them afterwards.... he's great at that though! lol
  • Mistie Mistie on May 21, 2014
    The plug in noise makers. We used them 20 yrs ago in California ( they have rats!!! ) when my husband had tried everything known to man I went and purchased 2. Each one covers 1000 sq feet. Our home at that time was 1200. The man said it would drive the field mice crazy and we may see more for a week or two. We never saw another one!!
    • See 1 previous
    • Mistie Mistie on Jun 25, 2014
      Elizabeth our house was 1200 sq feet the first time I used them. The ones I had covered 1000 sq feet so I put one in my kitchen and then one in the spare room. I did the same in our current house and have never seen one. You could do both if you'd like. Just get them from a hardware store. I don't think the ones at Walmart work as well:)
  • Mistie Mistie on May 21, 2014
    Mice are smart. If you use traps they remember where they are. Sure you'll kill a few but they breed very quickly. With the poison they could does in your walls creating another problem. The noise maker just drives them crazy and people and pets can't hear it. Only mice ( rodents ) and bugs. Mine are 11 years old and still work. I purchased them at a hardware store for $16.99 each. I have heard the Walmart brand doesn't work as well. It's humane and simple. Not to mention long term. You should never reuse traps etc bc of disease. Since they carry disease why would you want to draw more in with poison?
  • Lynda Hawkins Buchanan Lynda Hawkins Buchanan on May 21, 2014
    Cats I got two and haven't seen a mouse in years
  • Wabbitears Wabbitears on May 21, 2014
    Peppermint Oil: I used make-up sponges to put peppermint oil on and distributed them to every cabinet and drawer, storage pantry and a couple dropped behind a coffee pot or drain. He certainly never said good-bye to me but any rat / mouse evidence cannot be found in my houses, and there's not been one roach seen in my house for the last year. Also works great in the garbage can, no gnats, no ugly smell. LOVE IT!
  • KathrynElizabeth Etier KathrynElizabeth Etier on May 21, 2014
    I'm sure someone else has suggested it, but--cats! We have three, and no mouse even gets into the house.
    • Joyce Jenkins Joyce Jenkins on May 28, 2014
      @KathrynElizabeth Etier I have cat everywhere around my house and still get mice. I bet my neighbor has 6 or more and I have one that stays in and out. h he catches them but I still have mice. I will try the peppermint oil.
  • Tina Tina on May 21, 2014
    Will the peppermint oil on cotton balls work for the little chipmunk that calls our garage home?!!
    • Wabbitears Wabbitears on May 27, 2014
      @Tina Oh yes, they cannot bear to breathe in the fumes for long at all. Animals have a heightened sense of smell and what is useful for finding food is also their achilles heel. I love that (in Florida) I have NO roaches either.