$3 Front Door Update

309K Views
We have a very old front door that needs to be replaced. But like many home owners, the desire to make upgrades and our budget doesn't always align. I also very much disliked that anyone at my door could easily peer inside.
Time: 1 HoursCost: $3Difficulty: Easy
  • 3 door update
I've tried a few things to make the door look better and obscure the view. Below I used cloverleaf aluminum sheet, spray painted it black and taped it to the inside the door. It was an improvement but kept falling off the door.
  • 3 door update
I thought a metal design in black would be great but probably pricey. Then it occurred to me a floor register might fit. I priced them and really didn't want to spend nearly $50 on 3 registers especially since I wasn't sure it would work. As luck would have it, I found three very abused registers for a dollar each at the Restore.
  • 3 door update
I figured out how to get the dusty, filthy backs off, then bent them back flat and cleaned them really well.
  • 3 door update
I spray painted the registers black and spent about 15 minutes figuring out how hang them in the little windows on the door. I didn't want to glue them so that I could easily take them off to clean the windows when needed.
  • 3 door update
I used nails at the top.
  • 3 door update
and used upholstery tacks on the bottom and spray painted them black to blend in.
  • 3 door update
Here's the end product from the outside.
  • 3 door update
I use a wreath to hide the door further.
  • 3 door update
Here is what it looks like from the inside.
  • 3 door update
I had the spray paint and upholstery tacks. Not including paint dry time, I spent an hour and $3 to update my front door.

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of July 15, 2018 10:24 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
  • Wendy
    Wendy Far Rockaway, NY

The small attention to detail adds such a feel of charm to your door!

• Mandy Pfeifer
      Mandy Pfeifer United Kingdom

It looks so much better. I like it without the wreath.

• Deborah
          Deborah Springfield, IL

I do like it better without the wreath placed there although it is a very pretty wreath. Can you get enough "No see through to the inside" by adding some more fabric or something in the windows between the registers and windows instead? Maybe hang a curtain on the inside?

I do think you need to be able to see outside, though. How about adding a peephole in the door at a reasonably low enough height so it's easy to use? I would put a little something over the peephole on the inside so you can look outside without any change of light or sound to let people outside know you've looked.

Actually, an outside light at your door would allow you to see better outside after dark. You may want to make the outside light a light that will turn on automatically at night.