$3 Front Door Update

$3

We have a very old front door that needs to be replaced. But like many home owners, the desire to make upgrades and our budget doesn't always align. I also very much disliked that anyone at my door could easily peer inside.

I've tried a few things to make the door look better and obscure the view. Below I used cloverleaf aluminum sheet, spray painted it black and taped it to the inside the door. It was an improvement but kept falling off the door.

I thought a metal design in black would be great but probably pricey. Then it occurred to me a floor register might fit. I priced them and really didn't want to spend nearly $50 on 3 registers especially since I wasn't sure it would work. As luck would have it, I found three very abused registers for a dollar each at the Restore.

I figured out how to get the dusty, filthy backs off, then bent them back flat and cleaned them really well.

I spray painted the registers black and spent about 15 minutes figuring out how hang them in the little windows on the door. I didn't want to glue them so that I could easily take them off to clean the windows when needed.

I used nails at the top.

and used upholstery tacks on the bottom and spray painted them black to blend in.

Here's the end product from the outside.

I use a wreath to hide the door further.

Here is what it looks like from the inside.

I had the spray paint and upholstery tacks. Not including paint dry time, I spent an hour and $3 to update my front door.

For total privacy, I cut plastic shelf liner to the size of each window, cut a slit at the top, placed a clear Command hook above the window on the inside and hung the plastic from the hook. The plastic has some rigidity but flexible enough to push inside the window frame. I put them on at night and take them off in the morning.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?

• Carie

Clever idea..... however I no longer have a door like that BUT...... love your wreath! 😍

Are you going to post directions for that item too?

Pretty please......... 😊

• Roberta

You can get wreaths like this at Aldi grocery stores for $19.99, but you have to watch their flyers to see when they have them.

• Tina

It looks really nice now with a nod to the past in the best way. Well done!

• Elaine

You take the plastic off in the morning?😕

• Lucy

Could also use spring loaded rods and put a curtain in each slot. Hem the top and bottom and gather on the rod and no one can see in. I did this on several occasions. Easy and inexpensive.

• Teresa

Hey you did an awesome job, as long as you're happy with the results that's all that matters.

You can get a spray paint/ product to cover the inside of the window that allows you to see out but no one can see in.