$3 Front Door Update

$3

We have a very old front door that needs to be replaced. But like many home owners, the desire to make upgrades and our budget doesn't always align. I also very much disliked that anyone at my door could easily peer inside.
3 door update
I've tried a few things to make the door look better and obscure the view. Below I used cloverleaf aluminum sheet, spray painted it black and taped it to the inside the door. It was an improvement but kept falling off the door.
3 door update
I thought a metal design in black would be great but probably pricey. Then it occurred to me a floor register might fit. I priced them and really didn't want to spend nearly $50 on 3 registers especially since I wasn't sure it would work. As luck would have it, I found three very abused registers for a dollar each at the Restore.
3 door update
I figured out how to get the dusty, filthy backs off, then bent them back flat and cleaned them really well.
3 door update
I spray painted the registers black and spent about 15 minutes figuring out how hang them in the little windows on the door. I didn't want to glue them so that I could easily take them off to clean the windows when needed.
3 door update
I used nails at the top.
3 door update
and used upholstery tacks on the bottom and spray painted them black to blend in.
3 door update
Here's the end product from the outside.
3 door update
I use a wreath to hide the door further.
3 door update
Here is what it looks like from the inside.
3 door update
I had the spray paint and upholstery tacks. Not including paint dry time, I spent an hour and $3 to update my front door.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 12, 2018 11:05 PM - More info

• Rose Brady

What material are the flowers in the wreath made of?

• Lei604859

You can make them out of paper, too. I made one out of old discarded hymnal pages, phone book pages, even out of the huge books the insurance company sends you, lol. When the flowers are done, spray them with ironing starch to stiffen them and keep them nice. Then you can glue them into a wreath, or any other craft.

• Carol Bridges

There is a film that allows you to see out but no one can see in. A peep hole is good. They have them that allows 180° vision. No one can See you when you look out!! That kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it!! Who are these people sending advice?? I get paid for my beautiful work. Good advice is free.

• Carol Bridges