$3 Front Door Update

$3

We have a very old front door that needs to be replaced. But like many home owners, the desire to make upgrades and our budget doesn't always align. I also very much disliked that anyone at my door could easily peer inside.
3 door update
I've tried a few things to make the door look better and obscure the view. Below I used cloverleaf aluminum sheet, spray painted it black and taped it to the inside the door. It was an improvement but kept falling off the door.
3 door update
I thought a metal design in black would be great but probably pricey. Then it occurred to me a floor register might fit. I priced them and really didn't want to spend nearly $50 on 3 registers especially since I wasn't sure it would work. As luck would have it, I found three very abused registers for a dollar each at the Restore.
3 door update
I figured out how to get the dusty, filthy backs off, then bent them back flat and cleaned them really well.
3 door update
I spray painted the registers black and spent about 15 minutes figuring out how hang them in the little windows on the door. I didn't want to glue them so that I could easily take them off to clean the windows when needed.
3 door update
I used nails at the top.
3 door update
and used upholstery tacks on the bottom and spray painted them black to blend in.
3 door update
Here's the end product from the outside.
3 door update
I use a wreath to hide the door further.
3 door update
Here is what it looks like from the inside.
3 door update
I had the spray paint and upholstery tacks. Not including paint dry time, I spent an hour and $3 to update my front door.

• Carol Bridges

There is a film that allows you to see out but no one can see in. A peep hole is good. They have them that allows 180° vision. No one can See you when you look out!! That kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it!! Who are these people sending advice?? I get paid for my beautiful work. Good advice is free.

• Carol Bridges

• Susan

I just used a white frosted spray paint. It let the light in but completely obscured anyone seeing in.

• Anne-Marie

What is a 'floor register' please?