RebD
RebD
  • New York, NY

$3 Front Door Update

$3

We have a very old front door that needs to be replaced. But like many home owners, the desire to make upgrades and our budget doesn't always align. I also very much disliked that anyone at my door could easily peer inside.

I've tried a few things to make the door look better and obscure the view. Below I used cloverleaf aluminum sheet, spray painted it black and taped it to the inside the door. It was an improvement but kept falling off the door.

I thought a metal design in black would be great but probably pricey. Then it occurred to me a floor register might fit. I priced them and really didn't want to spend nearly $50 on 3 registers especially since I wasn't sure it would work. As luck would have it, I found three very abused registers for a dollar each at the Restore.

I figured out how to get the dusty, filthy backs off, then bent them back flat and cleaned them really well.

I spray painted the registers black and spent about 15 minutes figuring out how hang them in the little windows on the door. I didn't want to glue them so that I could easily take them off to clean the windows when needed.

I used nails at the top.

and used upholstery tacks on the bottom and spray painted them black to blend in.

Here's the end product from the outside.

I use a wreath to hide the door further.

Here is what it looks like from the inside.

I had the spray paint and upholstery tacks. Not including paint dry time, I spent an hour and $3 to update my front door.

For total privacy, I cut plastic shelf liner to the size of each window, cut a slit at the top, placed a clear Command hook above the window on the inside and hung the plastic from the hook. The plastic has some rigidity but flexible enough to push inside the window frame. I put them on at night and take them off in the morning.

• Susan Haag

What you did with your door is brilliant and beautiful! My door has a horizontal window at the top and the open stairway is right in front of it so people can see it, especially at night. You got me to thinking that I can actually do something about it, so I'm going to look around some thrift stores and see what I can find! Thanks so much! Great job!

• Barb

I have two similar doors. On one door I used the frosted glass spray with a small piece of tape on the lass. Once I removed the tape I had a small "peep hole". On the other door I used frosted Contact paper with a small piece removed to create the "peep hole".

• Judy Kay Bozeman

Why not just just spray frosted paint on the inside of the windows? But I do like the look of the vents on the outside..

• Sue

I think they are a beautiful addition to the door,any plans to paint the outside of the door,perhaps fire engine red or pretty yellow.?

Great job.

• Carla Reel

Love it, mine are diamonds but the privacy looks great 👍🏼

• Cindy Owens Gallop

I am going to do this. I have the very same door. I love the wood look. Mine door was painted white so I repainted it white but, may try to to redo it in the wood look. I have red on the outside. Thank you for this idea.