Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Kitchen Island With Faux Stainless Steel Top

$60

We needed a island in our kitchen and I wanted it to have a stainless steel top to match the rest of our appliances but stainless steel is not cheap. I had seen a post here, on Hometalk, that used EZ Faux Decor stainless steel film on a coffee table so I thought I'd give it a try for my kitchen island.
kitchen island with faux stainless steel top
I purchased the EZ stainless steel in 26" x 36". I then went to Lowe's and bought this wood panel for the top of the island. I also purchased:
5 - 1"x 3" x 8' pine boards
2 - 1"x 3" x 6' pine boards
4 - 1"x 4"x 8' pine boards
1 - 1"x 4"x 6' pine board
4 - casters
The panel that I purchased was a little longer than I wanted so I measured, marked and cut 3" off.
To make two shelf assemblies, I cut:

4 - 1"x 4", 20" long
4 - 1"x 4", 30.5" long

I lined two of the 20" pieces on the end and two 30.5" pieces on the sides. I attached the longer boards to the shorter boards using wood glue and 1.25" brad nails.
To make the legs, I cut:

4 - 1"x 3" to a length of 32.75"
4 - 1"x 4" to a length of 32.75"

I attached each 1"x 4" to each 1"x 3" using wood glue and 1.25" brad nails. I made four identical legs.
With one shelf assembly on my work surface, I placed each leg on the outside of the shelf assembly with the 1"x 4" facing the long side. I made sure the legs were flush with the shelf then used wood glue and brads to attach each leg.
I laid the second shelf onto my work surface and lifted the first shelf with the legs attached onto the second shelf.
I placed the legs on the outside of the second shelf, then attached them with wood glue and brads.
For the lower shelf,
A - I measure the width of the shelf and cut:
9 - 1"x 4" boards to a length of 21.5"
B - I used wood glue and brads to attach the boards to the lower shelf
C - I measured between each board to make sure the distance was the same before nailing the boards in place.
For each side, I made a "V".
I used 1"x 3" boards, marking them and cutting to length. I used wood glue and brads to attach.

For the casters, I cut 4, 3.25" x 3.50" foot pads. I screwed the casters to the foot pads and using wood glue and brads, I attached the casters to the bottom of each leg.
For the top, I added wood glue around the top of the frame.
Then I laid the board on top. I measure all sides to make sure it was even all around then attached with 1.25" brads.
To add the stainless steel film, I made sure the top was free of dust.
A - I spread the film out onto the top of the island
B - Peeled the film from the backing, only exposing about 12" at a time
C - I laid the edge off the top (I wanted to wrap it around the board
D - Using a credit card, I smoothed out the film only removing about 12" of the backing at a time.
Once the top was complete, I wrapped the ends of the film over the ends of the board and used a staple gun to attach the film to the underside of the board.
For the corners, I folded the film over to make a triangle (in yellow) as you would when wrapping a gift.
And here is the finished island. I stained mine then sealed it was a coat of wax.

The stainless steel film is water, scratch and heat resistant (up to 240 F); however, you cannot cut directly on it.

• Karla Pitts

I was wondering if the steel peel paper that u put on top could u use that on the side of the wall like beside the stove? I have looking for something like that and have had no luck but that’s looks like it would work?

• Ida May Chapa

Yes that could happen. But the cutting board would stop that from happening . You can buy cutting boards pretty cheap or a nice thick wood one that's lasts a long time but those are expensive. It would be worth it though in the long run

• Alicia Ranberg

This is beautiful! Did you think about painting it to match your cabinets?

• Cheryl Mo

Love it but I have the same questions as everyone and that is how is the durability of the stainless steel sheet

• Becky

I would cover it with a sheet of custom-cut beveled glass. You'd have to take the same precautions with cutting on it and heat, but seems like it would protect it better. I did this with wallpaper under glass for an old table that was dinged beyond repair. It became my favorite table ever. I like the idea of this on an island.

• Sarah

Great job, I think I may try this, you make it look easy. I love it!!!!!

• Faith whittaker

i wont be trying this but i will when i am old enough when i have my own house and i will make \buy one thanks!