Rustic Yet Sophisticated Dresser

This poor baby had been painted and refinished so many times it was just plain ole tired looking. When I pulled the drawers out there was white, teal, and pink residue from previous paint jobs. The hardware had that 80's look and does not work on an early 1900's dresser.
Once I posted this on my Facebook page I had a buyer and I was able to paint it and stain it just how she wanted it.
After
Before
The first thing I tackled was to strip down the drawer, top, and side panels so I could re-stain them a darker richer color. I would like to tell you what color stain I used, but I mixed a few to get the color I wanted.
I used a new product on this one, or at least new to me. I used Shabby Paints in Licorice. They have a product call VAX that you use to protect the paint instead of wax. It goes on with a brush or a sponge, and is water based and really easy to use. I am sold on this product!
I bought the new hardware from Hobby Lobby. I used the Shabby Paints VAX on the painted parts and used Annie Sloan dark wax on the stained parts.
I always like to paint the backs, it just makes it feel finished to me.

15 Perfectly Round Tables
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Lauri Black / Shabby 2 Uniquely Chic

• Cat
    Cat

Nice job I have similar piece I want to try something different on. Thanks for the idea. Were those the original drawer pulls?

Love them.

• Cheryl
    Cheryl

How do you get the painted parts to look so good? Do you tape off the areas or use a certain kind of paint brush? Also, why did you use chalk paint wax on the stain? The piece looks beautiful!!!

• JT
    JT

Beautiful job! When replacing handles for knobs, what did you use to fill in extra holes? I’m assuming wood putty. How did you match the stain? Barely noticeable that there were extra holes. Superb job!