Knelso18
Knelso18
  • Tutorial Team
  • Zimmerman, MN

Outdoor Light Fixtures Transformed for Under $3

$3
1

We have been redoing a lot of our house inside and out. Some things I have done myself, others we hire out. After replacing our siding we put up the previous light fixtures... only to keep looking at them and thinking how old they looked.

But my husband wanted to go and buy all new lights. With needing 4 of them, it would cost about $200...

I said, let me try something first then if it doesn’t look good, we can spend that money. But for $3 I made these old fixtures look good as new. The color match for our new deck etc was perfect. It took me about an hour to remove and paint and put back up... All I see is that we saved $197! Maybe it won’t last forever but it’s a great fix for now and super easy.

outdoor light fixtures transformed for under 3

Step one was taking them off the house and taking apart. Wiped off dirt and cobwebs.

Removed the glass and washed that. Set aside...

Took Rustoleum Espresso spray paint and lightly coated the whole surface. Let it dry outside on newspaper being there was a light breeze.

Spray painted the main part, making sure I coated all nooks and crannies.

After all dry I put back together and hung back up. Simple electrical work.

After picture against the brick. New color just pops...

After picture against the siding... looks so fresh and new.

Before picture...

• Janet

Wow!!! I have bern considering doong this to mine but was hesitant. I think you gavd me the courage to do it! Mine are brass and they are looking rusty & tired. Just can’t decide on thr color as my siding is cream with green shutters (that also need to be spruced up). I wonger if i should go green? Hmmmm

• Janet

Yes my doorknob is brass as is the number on my door - which is green like my shutters. Hubby like the idea of keeping the brass so I guess I will keep brass - if I want his help. LOL My only concern is finding which breaker turns off the outdoor lighting.

• Lana

Been looking at mine askance... for awhile! Now I think I can remove them, clean & spray-paint for a MUCH better look, & save some cash, thanks!!

• Bryan's Workshop

I love painted light fixtures! You did an amazing job! It really looks awesome now!