Joy
Joy
  • Houston, TX

Easy Update For Concrete Pavers!

$50

Need an easy update for your backyard? Painting concrete pavers will add some pizzaz to your outdoor space! A few supplies are all that’s needed to create this fun project.

Hey friends, sometimes updating your outdoor space can be super simple. The painted concrete pavers idea came about when I was revamping our backyard for the One Room Challenge. We had a very big project and I looked for ways to creatively keep the costs down. We have a side entrance to the back yard that has always been an eyesore. Practical? Yes. Unwelcoming and generally ugly? Yes. The big problem? The side yard doesn’t have a sprinkler system so sod isn’t an option, but painting concrete pavers is!

easy update for concrete pavers
STEP 1: GATHER SUPPLIES
  • Concrete Pavers (We already had 45 18×18 inch size)
  • DecoArt Americana Acrylic paint – your favorite colors
  • Stencil of your choice (I chose 18×18 inch size)
  • Variety of brushes ( some like sponge brushes, I like bristle brushes but you do you)
  • Outdoor Concrete sealer
  • plastic bowls for paint

STEP 2: CLEAN PAVERS AND PREP AREA

If you are purchasing new pavers – this step may be optional. We had 10 years of grime that needed to be power washed off. We set up two 8 ft plastic table to work on the pavers. Cover the tables with butcher paper or painter drop cloths. Our pavers are 50 lbs each, yeah. Whew! I (with hubs help) laid out three pavers per table.

STEP 3: LET THE STENCILING BEGIN!

I chose to keep this simple.  I found this DecoArt stencil here instead of creating a stencil from scratch which you could totally do. I used handy dandy painter’s tape to secure the stencil to the paver. This worked incredibly well and allowed me to move quickly from paver to paver.

easy update for concrete pavers
easy update for concrete pavers
Stenciling concrete pavers is pretty forgiving. I changed my mind on the color scheme from the original try. 

You can get so very creative…or not. When I first dreamed up this little project, I had the grand idea of painting the entire paver in lovely color. I was really wanting the hand painted tile vibe in a major way. But after about 10, I decided 45 pavers with any creative painting will give me the vibe I so desired. 20 pavers in I decided that I could lessen the paint a little more and create a simpler tile look that I could alternate.

I had a ticking timeline staring me in the face and the fact that my living room housed these two large tables of pavers and then the formal housed the finished pieces.

easy update for concrete pavers
STEP 4: GO ROGUE A BIT AND ALLOW TO DRY

As much as I loved the stencil I picked out – I really wanted the hand-painted look. I completed the “stencil” lines and added little details to make the look more realistic. Before moving your pavers to a drying area- double check that you have “cleaned up” any glaring mistakes or bleed throughs from the stencil.

easy update for concrete pavers
STEP 5: SEAL YOUR ARTWORK

We ended up using Thompson’s Water seal for concrete and wasn’t a huge fan of the long drying time and generally “sticky” feel of the product. The “tacky” wore off eventually but again, time was of the essence. The sealer worked but I am sure there is something better out there and I am researching it.

easy update for concrete pavers
easy update for concrete pavers

We reinstalled the pavers in their original location but instead of decomposed granite in between – I hit on the brilliant idea of artificial turf and it worked beautifully!

easy update for concrete pavers
easy update for concrete pavers

Now the side entrance is welcoming and unique. I still have a few ideas for this area but they will wait when the budget allows.

Till Later,

Joy

If you like this project, come check out my blog, The Aspiring Home, for more fun easy projects!

Joy

• Carol Rutledge

I absolutely love your idea and I think this would be a great idea to do for a area just for kids...instead of artwork like you did...you could do the game of hop-scotch, race tracks, tic-tac-toe, and other games. They would have a blast I think...has anyone tried that?

• Christine

On the artifical turf. Did you lay the pavers on top of the turf or did you cut out the center of the turf to may it look like grass is growing in between the pavers?

• Joy

I cut the astroturf to the size of the space between the pavers and secured it with the "U"pins that you use for securing weed barrier.

• Pat

I'm very puzzled how you did the turf between the pavers? Can you please explain that part. Did you have to dig 4 inch and then you just laid the artificial grass down and covered it with sand? And then laid the pavers? And then just watered it down to get the stand off the artificial grass? That is what I'm assuming you did!! can you please let me know if I'm right!! You did a beautiful job your colors are absolutely gorgeous and your pattern. I'm having this done to my backyard next week but there is one part that is on the side of my house leading to my storage sheds I would like to do that walkway. Thank you very much for sharing your art looking forward to your answer.

• Sherry Hilson

I think between means they laid the pavers first.

• Missy

I absolutely love this! I’m trying to find a place in my yard to incorporate it. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful makeover! ❤️😁

• Joy

Thank you for the kind words!

• Colleen Smith

Love this!!!