Easy Update For Concrete Pavers!

$50

Need an easy update for your backyard? Painting concrete pavers will add some pizzaz to your outdoor space! A few supplies are all that’s needed to create this fun project.
Hey friends, sometimes updating your outdoor space can be super simple. The painted concrete pavers idea came about when I was revamping our backyard for the One Room Challenge. We had a very big project and I looked for ways to creatively keep the costs down. We have a side entrance to the back yard that has always been an eyesore. Practical? Yes. Unwelcoming and generally ugly? Yes. The big problem? The side yard doesn’t have a sprinkler system so sod isn’t an option, but painting concrete pavers is!
STEP 1: GATHER SUPPLIES
  • Concrete Pavers (We already had 45 18×18 inch size)
  • DecoArt Americana Acrylic paint – your favorite colors
  • Stencil of your choice (I chose 18×18 inch size)
  • Variety of brushes ( some like sponge brushes, I like bristle brushes but you do you)
  • Outdoor Concrete sealer
  • plastic bowls for paint

STEP 2: CLEAN PAVERS AND PREP AREAIf you are purchasing new pavers – this step may be optional. We had 10 years of grime that needed to be power washed off. We set up two 8 ft plastic table to work on the pavers. Cover the tables with butcher paper or painter drop cloths. Our pavers are 50 lbs each, yeah. Whew! I (with hubs help) laid out three pavers per table.  STEP 3: LET THE STENCILING BEGIN!I chose to keep this simple.  I found this DecoArt stencil here instead of creating a stencil from scratch which you could totally do. I used handy dandy painter’s tape to secure the stencil to the paver. This worked incredibly well and allowed me to move quickly from paver to paver. 
Stenciling concrete pavers is pretty forgiving. I changed my mind on the color scheme from the original try. You can get so very creative…or not. When I first dreamed up this little project, I had the grand idea of painting the entire paver in lovely color. I was really wanting the hand painted tile vibe in a major way. But after about 10, I decided 45 pavers with any creative painting will give me the vibe I so desired. 20 pavers in I decided that I could lessen the paint a little more and create a simpler tile look that I could alternate. I had a ticking timeline staring me in the face and the fact that my living room housed these two large tables of pavers and then the formal housed the finished pieces.
STEP 4: GO ROGUE A BIT AND ALLOW TO DRYAs much as I loved the stencil I picked out – I really wanted the hand-painted look. I completed the “stencil” lines and added little details to make the look more realistic. Before moving your pavers to a drying area- double check that you have “cleaned up” any glaring mistakes or bleed throughs from the stencil.
STEP 5: SEAL YOUR ARTWORKWe ended up using Thompson’s Water seal for concrete and wasn’t a huge fan of the long drying time and generally “sticky” feel of the product. The “tacky” wore off eventually but again, time was of the essence. The sealer worked but I am sure there is something better out there and I am researching it.
We reinstalled the pavers in their original location but instead of decomposed granite in between – I hit on the brilliant idea of artificial turf and it worked beautifully!
Now the side entrance is welcoming and unique. I still have a few ideas for this area but they will wait when the budget allows.
Till Later,Joy
If you like this project, come check out my blog, The Aspiring Home, for more fun easy projects. Follow me on Instagram too! @theaspiringhome_

Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Joy

• Kay Gapen

I have a lot of paver with stone on them. Any ideas?

• Raukon

Any possibility the other side if the paver is smooth? If so try flipping it!

OR...spray paint stoned top alternating between 2-3 colors or an ombré paint effect as you lay them down

OR wild side more tedious work ...pick 2-3 colors or ombré and paint the stones alternating colors so it fits your color scheme or fluorescent paint so they glow at night

• Susan O'Rear Phillips

I also like to know how you lay the artificial grass.

• Judy

cut turf to size then use pins for landscape fabric to secure down. I have use wire hangers bent to a u shape apprx. 3" by 1" by 3". Good use for wire hangers that you already have. You can buy the pins at home depot etc.

• Phyl U

where do you buy artificial turf?

phyl April 5, 2020

• Flipturn

Most large home building supply stores should sell turf in rolls in their patio/outdoor decor sections.

• Eduardo Saldana

I really like this idea .....I was looking for ideas for the garage wall but this works for my other project

• Isabel Paterson

what a great idea I am tired of taking the weeds out of my patio I will try this idea I have some green grass carpet thanks for the dear will try tomorrow if I get time , thank you I am glad you sent this in just what I needed