Regulator Clock Makeover

$10

Our Regulator clock had seen better days and was not working. The fix was easy. The batteries had corroded. A good cleaning and new batteries solved that problem. The other problem was the clock no longer fit with our decor. We gave the clock new life with this very simple makeover.

regulator clock makeover

In order to get the clock working again, we took out the corroded batteries and cleaned the battery compartment with q-tips and acetone. A fresh set of batteries was added and the clock began working perfectly.

regulator clock makeover

For the makeover, the first thing I did was to repaint the rim around the clock face with a antique gold leaf paint. Goodbye shiny brass!

regulator clock makeover

I tried to be careful, because I didn't take the time to tape off the glass, but I did get a little paint on the clock face glass. It was easily removed with a razor blade.

In this picture you can also see that the clock is gray. I did initially start painting the clock gray, but changed my mind and decided to go with a completely different look. Read on . . .

regulator clock makeover

To add some interest to the back panel of the clock, I glued on a piece of scrapbook paper in thin black/white stripes using household glue.

regulator clock makeover

I decided to use black and white chalk paint for this project and give the clock a modern look and try out a dry brush technique that I learned from another blogger.

regulator clock makeover

The top half of the clock was painted with black and the bottom portion of the clock was painted white. I mixed the black and white paint together to make gray and I used that as a go-between color between the stark white and the black, using a dry brush method. You can find out more about that on the blog and a link to the post from ThirtyEighthStreet.com which gave me the inspiration for this project.

regulator clock makeover

This is what it looked like. You can see that I also repainted the pendulum with the antique gold leaf paint. I liked it, but then decided I would prefer a little less white area. So I simply painted a portion of the bottom section of the clock black and changed where I added the gray using the same dry brush technique.

regulator clock makeover

This is our finished clock. I love how it turned out to be quite a statement piece. I get a lot of compliments on this clock and it looks amazing with the rest of our decor. This makeover took only an afternoon to complete and was well worth the time spent to go from drab to wow!

For more information on this project, visit our blog post.

My Husband Has Too Many Hobbies

• Peggy

Great idea! Why don't I see the striped paper?

• MMM

You can see it better when the bottom of the clock has more white paint on it. :)

• Karen Sienk

Nice job...dud you have to sand the clock surface down before painting or use a primer?

• Valerie Burge

That looks so beautiful and modern! Nicely done. My mom has a very similar one that no longer works. You've inspired me to try and fix and modernize hers!

• Bgray

I have this same clock...my dad gave it to me years ago, so I want to keep it but the original color just screams "80s"...this post inspires me to repaint it and bring it into the current century, LOL...Great job!