IKEA Malm Dresser Hack

$200

Makeover a simple IKEA Malm dresser into a modern dresser perfect for your bedroom. This before and after is incredible and so easy!

Let me show you how I transformed this simple IKEA Malm dresser into a sleek, modern black and white dresser.
ikea malm dresser hack
Since the bottom of the IKEA Malm dresser is open, first we need to add support pieces to the underside of the dresser that the legs can attach to.
ikea malm dresser hack
1. Prepare Wood Supports

Start by cutting your wood blocks to size. They need to be able to fit under the back brace, tucked right up against the front corner, and be just wide enough that the screw will go into the side, but not out through the other side.
ikea malm dresser hack
2. Drill Leg Hole

Measure an equal distance on the front and back of your support piece and drill a hole a bit smaller than the size of the leg screw.

3. Attach Side Supports

Attach your support pieces using Torx screws because these are super secure will be able to handle the weight of the dresser.

Pre-drill four holes on the side of the wood making sure they won't overlap with the leg bolts. You don't need to drill all the way through the wood, just enough so your screw will be on the straight and narrow path and won't split the wood.

Repeat these steps on the other side of the dresser.
ikea malm dresser hack
4. Attach Legs

Once both support pieces are attached, lay your dresser on its side and twist your dresser legs into the holes you've already made.

5. Add Mid-Base Support

Once the legs are secure, flip your dresser right side up and you might notice that the middle sags a bit. (It might not be too noticeable until you add the drawers and the middle shadow is wider at the bottom than the top.)

Place 5" wood support about 1/4 of the way back from the front right in the middle.
ikea malm dresser hack
6. Add Vinyl

Next, I added some black wood contact paper to the middle supports on the front face of the dresser. I cut some strips of contact paper that were about 4" wide and covered the length of each support piece for the drawers.
ikea malm dresser hack
Use an x-acto knife to trim the edges to match perfectly and then fold the top and bottom to wrap around the full piece of wood.
ikea malm dresser hack
7. Add Drawer Pulls

Lastly, add black drawer handles to each drawer. I used these drawer handles from IKEA and matching 4" ones at IKEA to go on our nightstands.
ikea malm dresser hack
I love how this dresser turned out, but I might be a little bias, so let me know what you think in the comments!
ikea malm dresser hack
What do you think of this IKEA hack?

If you missed the whole bedroom transformation, check out how we transformed our boring, beige bedroom into a monochrome modern master bedroom at A Crafted Passion.

Want to create a family-friendly modern home on a budget?  Grab this free guide right here to get started!
ikea malm dresser hack
Amanda Garvin

• Sgr33497770

looks very nice, but why put legs on if you can’t see them? And the supports, was that just to sturdy the piece?

• Debbie Nottingham

I think this is a great idea and for those who have carpet it would not have as much carpet that is crushed to take care of if or when moved. Plus I agree with rose as it makes it look like a very high end piece of furniture.

• Cindy

Looks great but would have loved to see more pics about the underneath supports, the mid supports, and clearer instructions. Why the contact paper? Why not just paint it? Or did I miss something? Was this a pecuniary dresser from Ikea or did you paint it?

• Amanda Garvin

Hi Cindy! This dresser is straight from the box from IKEA. There are more pictures and details in the tutorial on my site (especially regarding the support pieces): acraftedpassion.com/ikea-malm-dresser-makeover. I try to condense the tutorial for Hometalk, but realize it might have come across as a little confusing. IKEA furniture is tough to paint and I loved the look of the subtle wood grain in the contact paper. Hope that helps!

• Dee

It looks clean, modern, and sleek. Good job! You could also get a reasonably priced antique dresser and redo. Furniture was made much better back in the day, Ive discovered.

• Cindy

I love IKEA furniture really love the way you changed the look of it. Great job! Time to do the same to mine. Thank you for posting!