Erica Martin
Erica Martin
  • Runnemede, NJ

Spray Painted Candles & Candlesticks

$7

Welcome! I wanted to show you another makeover today. And of course it involves spray paint :)
My mom has been wanting to do some updates in her decor for a while but her budget is just around ZERO DOLLARS and ZERO CENTS. So of course she called on me to help her out. Boy, this is gonna be a tough one!
I figured the best place to start was (obviously) with spray paint and some accessories she already had. If you have been around here for a while, you know that I am big on updating what you have around the house with spray paint. You can go here to see some of the spray paint transformations I've made :)
I immediately knew I was going to change these candles and candlesticks first.
I used these 2 colors of spray paint from my stash. The candlesticks got Lagoon in a satin finish and the candles are finished in aluminum.
I started with the candles. They each got 2 coats.
That one candle...yea...stuck onto the the holder. Like, "couldn't pry if off with a crowbar" stuck! But I didn't let that stop me. I just taped it off before I sprayed the candlestick.
I propped the candlesticks up to that I could get to the bottom without having to wait for them to dry and flip them over. You can see how the glossy finish looked more like a matte when it dried.
I did 3 light coats, brought them inside and let them cure for 2 days before attempting to move them. This is especially important when spray painting ceramic.
I decided to add a clear gloss coat (also Rutoleum) to the candlesticks and I think they turned out beautifully!
Clearly, I wouldn't suggest burning the candles once they have been spray painted ;)
Also, they are very susceptible to knicks and scratches which will reveal the color underneath. But my mom doesn't have any little kids running around her place and they aren't in an area where they will moved around at all so they'll do just fine for her.
So what do you think? Do you like the new color of the candlesticks? Have you ever spray painted any? Would you have thought to spray paint a candle? :)
Erica Martin