How to get rid of mice?

+6
  • Kate Kate on Sep 11, 2018

Get a cat. The SPCA has many

• Ela33672871 Ela33672871 on Sep 12, 2018

I have two cats...17 years old. they catch moles, chipmonks, squirrels, and unfortunately birds....but no mice?....

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Sep 11, 2018

Soak cotton balls with peppermint oil. The smell will drive them away and it's safe.

• Twyla J Boyer Twyla J Boyer on Sep 11, 2018

Use snap traps like Victor or TomCat. Don't get the cheap ones - they don't work well. Bait them with tootsie roll piece - soften them and wrap them around the bait paddle before setting the trap (maybe smear a tiny amount of peanut butter on them. (Mice will have tug at them and that will spring the trap.) Place the traps along the walls in the areas where mice run. Some sites recommend place two traps next to each other so mice can't jump over them.

• See 1 previous
    • Twyla J Boyer Twyla J Boyer on Sep 12, 2018

It can take months (my house came with free mice). You also have to seal any of the ways they get in and out. Steel wool stuck into cracks and around pipes and filled in with Great Stuff (or some other expandable foam) seemed to work best.

Also, if possible, feed the cats at particular times and don't leave food around for the mice. Oh - and put all your food (including that for the cats) in sealable plastic, glass, or metal storage. If they don't have food they are more likely to leave.

Friends with a barn swear by DCon pellets, but with cats, that isn't a good idea.

• I can't kill anything unless absolutely necessary. I use no kill traps baited with dollar store peanut butter. I am in a semi rural area so I have places to go to release them back into the wild. Not so easy if you live in a city.

• Kat28448540 Kat28448540 on Sep 12, 2018

I read an article that said they hate the smell of peppermint....they say use a spray bottle with water and peppermint oil in it and spray around the house around walls and outside too, unless it's raining....I had a cat that lined up a whole family on my front porch one day...had to get the neighbor to come over and throw them in the trash can....ohhhh yuck...but Maxx was a good kitty and quite the hunter...have had mice since....