DIY Wind Chime Made With Recycled Bottles Glass In The Microwave

$10
1 Week

I love to upcycle old stuff into new stuff and I am always looking for new techniques and tools to recycle unwanted things. So imagine how excited I was to find out that you can fuse small pieces of glass in your microwave! It's not like I really need an excuse to drink more wine but seriously wine, beer and liquor bottles do come in some pretty colors . :-)

Anyway this little gadget is called the Fuseworks microwave kiln and it makes it possible to melt and fuse glass right in your kitchen! Most of my projects have been small jewelry pieces but today I have finished a much larger project.
diy wind chime made with recycled bottles glass in the microwave
The wind chime is made up of a lot of these fused glass rings which are hooked together with large metal jump rings and some wire.
The project start with some empty glass bottles.
The glass is cut using some simple cutting tools to make these rough shapes.
This is how the pieces are stacked for the fusing process. For more information on the actual fusing process please see my jewelry tutorial here.
For my wind chime I used several different colors to make the final project.
Thanks for taking a look at my project. If you would like more upcycling project DIY's or Green Product Reviews you can visit the Upcycle Design Lab blog here. 

Happy Upcycling!

Cindy
Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab

• Alice

I love this!!! I watched the video but am still wondering where the kiln paper comes in? I saw in the link of your materials list, a kiln for beginners that is pretty affordable, I may just try this. Thanks for sharing, yours are very beautiful!

• Krafty Kathy

Think of this like parchment paper or a silpat in baking to keep things from sticking. But this paper is coated with a fine mineral powder and the paper turns to ash when fired.

My question is does recycled bottle glass take longer in this than the dichronic artglass by fuseworks? In my big kiln refiring bottles need more firing than COE 90 or COE 96.

• Linda Harp

What?? You can melt glass in the micro??? Who knew!

• Lynn Mooren

Is there any smell from the micro/kiln? My husband will not allow any projects in the house that smell, like paint or nail polish.