DIY Kitchen Island Makeover {with Plywood and Lumber}

So glad I bit the bullet and revamped our builder grade kitchen island! It is amazing what a little plywood, 1x4 and 2x4 can do for an ordinary cabinet. Add a little paint and stain, and we have a brand new island!
diy kitchen island makeover with plywood and lumber, diy, kitchen design, kitchen island, woodworking projects
I was so tired of our Oak Laminate Cabinets. The older they get the more "orange" they become!
I wrapped the laminate in birch plywood and trimmed it out with 2x4's.
The wainscoting and trim was created with 1x4's.
Two coats of taupe paint {it is amazing that it changes colors depending on the light}, dry brushed with black paint, and then rubbed with stain.
As the legs were exceeded the existing countertop, we swapped it out for a new butcher block counter top.
Still waiting on the new hardware, but I am still loving what a little plywood, lumber and paint could do for this boring builder grade cabinet!
Shaunna @ Tempting Thyme

• Susan Rawlings

Wow, it looks great--lots of character.

• Heje

Good work on making this a less than ordinary island. Love the color! Thanks for sharing.