Diy Painted Rug

I was/am currently re-doing my living room. (if you knew me, then this wouldn't surprise you. I do it ALL the time) So after figuring out what I really wanted done in the room, I realized there was no way I could afford the beautiful striped rugs in the size I needed online. So, I went to my basement. Found my old,dirty Lowe's rug. Gave it a super good cleaning. Bought some blue paint at Home Depot. Took out my roller. And voila! A striped rug.

(side note: the pictures are off my phone.)
Here's how i started. I used frog tape to and a level to make the lines as straight as possible. I also put the blue tape where I didn't want to paint. Aaaand I still managed to get some lines a bit crooked.
And here's the after. I forgot to take pictures as I was rolling. I'm sorry.
Oh and that's just a shelf my husband made. I got stuck with all the filling, sanding, priming and painting. Blegh.
The pictures are so blurry but the it actually turned out great!!
In case you're wondering, yes it is a little rougher. But the rug itself isn't soft at all. It feels like an indoor/outdoor rug and the painted stripes are barely noticeable to the feet.

Enliven-D

• Aba7147062

Must say this is so awesome but what kind of the paint do you use for painting the carpet? Doesnt this leave the carpet hard? I got wall to wall carpet and i hate the colours of the carpet and wanting the plain looking carpet? To buy the carpet its too expensive and would like to paint the whole carpet.
    will vacuum cleaner clean the painted carpet?
    would love to know more about painting the carpet as i would like to paint the wall to wall carpet?
    Adele B

• P Burnette

Thanks, this is a great idea to have on hand. I am thinking of painting the vinyl tile in one of my bathrooms and this is what I want to do!
    Great job!!!
  • Carol Cole

I love it and I do hope it is safe for the kids.