Repurpose Cabinet for Bathroom Storage

$10

I needed storage for towels in my bathroom. I looked at purchasing a few but decided to refinish a cabinet that was previously used in laundry room.

Before
Before

I took the cabinet off the wall and removed the doors, and unscrewed the hinges and removed them.

repurpose cabinet for bathroom storage

I laid out some cardboard and started with the doors. I stained lightly using weathered grey stain and let dry. I used a cut up T-shirt, dipped it in the stain and lightly brushed it on allowing original wood grain to show through.

repurpose cabinet for bathroom storage

One that was dry I mixed some clear wax with gun metal acrylic paint in equal parts to create the first color. Used a chip brush to apply and let dry.

repurpose cabinet for bathroom storage

I added the wax a little at a time to get the look I wanted. I followed with a second coat mixing my own wax using white metallic acrylic paint and clear wax and let dry.

repurpose cabinet for bathroom storage

I hung the cabinets and installed the doors. I wanted more of the metal finish that I’ve seen recently in stores so I mixed some more gun metal, this time a bit darker. I brushed it on and let dry.

After
After

I applied the final coat of gun metal wax and let dry. The photos don’t do it justice the finish turned out great.

Before and after
Before and after

Overall I’m happy with the look, now I have storage for towels. May add a coat of clear wax to protect finish once it is good and dry. You can always sand between coats of wax but I have found a little goes a long way and if you apply carefully sanding is not needed.

repurpose cabinet for bathroom storage
repurpose cabinet for bathroom storage

• Franne Thompson Wood

I agree with Mary. This cabinet is placed too high on the wall. The finish does look interesting, however.

• Hope

I think it looks great and will serve its purpose well.

There is only one change I would make...maybe two ... : )

Looking at the 2nd to last picture, where the cabinet is hung and the view is 'straight-on'...

1. I (personally) would center the cabinet in the space between the shower curtain and the bath. If done like this, the toilet would be under the right side of the cabinet leaving the left side area (between the shower and the toilet) open and easy to access.
    2. I would also get rid of the towel bar because it's just not working (visually). You can put some hooks under the cabinet...'bout 6-8" under (after you move it, of course...LOL) to hang your robe and some towels, etc.

Just my opinions...take them with a grain of salt. : )

I love that you are using what you already have instead of buying new!

• Bbi8187798

I agree with Hope! Center the beautiful ‘new’ cabinet and take down the towel bar. Take a long piece of wood distress it and screw in hooks or pegs. You’ll be able to hang more than just a towel on it! Good job With repurposing!!