DIY Striped Glass Plates

$1

With a dollar store glass plate and a little paint, you can create a budget-friendly, yet sophisticated glass plate perfect for your Holiday parties and tablescapes.

diy striped glass plates

Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday parties are around the corner. What better way to impress your guests than with updated plates for your tablescape on a budget. I created these striped glass plates for a little over one dollar for each plate. You could outfit your eight person dining set for less than ten dollars.

Another plus is that aside from being simple and budget-friendly, this DIY is completely customizable. You can create any shape or use any color you would like. And, if you follow the curing method that I featured below, you can use these plates over and over again.

Please see the steps below to paint and cure your own creation onto a glass plate.

To make your own glass plate creation, you will need:

diy striped glass plates

diy striped glass plates

diy striped glass plates

diy striped glass plates

Step 2: Take your paint color of choice, and apply one event coat underneath the plate (on the backside). Set the plate aside to let the paint dry completely.

Tip: While you are waiting for the paint to dry you can start steps 1 and 2 on the other plates in your dining set. Batching is a great process for this DIY.

Step 3: Once the first coat of paint is dry, apply a second (even) layer of paint. Set the plate aside to let the paint dry completely.

diy striped glass plates

Step 4: Once the paint is dry, carefully remove the painter’s tape.

Step 5: Cure the paint on to the glass plate:

• Place the plate/s onto an oven proof pan.
  • Put the pan and plate/s into the oven.
  • Set the oven on 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  1. It is important to place the plate in the oven when it is cool, so the plate is slowly heated up and it doesn’t crack.
  • Once the temperature reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit inside the oven, turn on the timer for 30 minutes. (This process may be too smelly for you, so please feel free to turn on the fan or open a window for some extra air flow.)
  • After the 30 minutes on the timer is expired, turn off the oven and let the plate cool in the oven. Then carefully remove the pan and plate/s from the oven.
  • Once the plate is cool and removed from the oven, set it aside for 72 hours.
  • After 3 days, get ready to handwash and show off your beautiful and sophisticated hand painted plates.
diy striped glass plates

I love using my plate with a traditional Fall tablescape with kraft paper acting as the table linen.

diy striped glass plates

I also think the white stripe is fun and festive on top of a bright red charger that I purchased at Dollar Tree for one dollar for a Christmas feel.

I really hope you enjoy this fun DIY. The possibilities are endless!

Elizabeth at Country Peony

• Patty Smith

Do you turn the oven off after it has reached 350* F while waiting for the 30 minutes? I’ve always used paint Nader for glass products and that’s the directions for the heat cure. Acrylic paints would be less expensive and I like less money going out, lolololol! TIA and thanks for sharing!

• Emmybel

I want to do it with armor etch! The stripes would look frosted! And no curing or possibility of washing off if not cured!

• Beth

Even polka dots would look festive and be holiday-neutral! This would look great over silver or gold chargers for New Year's Eve, too.