CribbsStyle
CribbsStyle
  • Mount Pleasant, SC

Shiplap Board and Batten Wall

$150
1 Week

Shiplap doesn't have to cover an entire wall to create impact. We updated our boring entry way with shiplap and a wood accent.

shiplap board and batten wall

Our foyer had a chair rail, but it didn't have enough character. First thing we did was remove the chair rail.

shiplap board and batten wall

We needed something to break up and camouflage our wall of many doors and we thought adding shiplap part way up the wall would help. W

shiplap board and batten wall

We used our Kreg Jig rip cut to cut underlayment into 8 inch strips. To maximize our materials and minimize waste, we cut on the longer side for the long walls. On some panels we cut on the short side for the shorter walls.

shiplap board and batten wall

Any edges that were rough, we used the electric sander to smooth out.

shiplap board and batten wall

For this project we measured up the wall and marked how high we wanted the panels to go. We did this on all the walls so it would be even all the way around. We started with the longest wall at the bottom spacing the boards with nickels and securing them with the brad nail gun.

shiplap board and batten wall

Once everything was installed, we patched all the nail holes and painted.

shiplap board and batten wall

To give a finished look on the corners, we used trim pieces for the inside and outside corners. We caulked the seams to give a finished. look.

shiplap board and batten wall

After the paint had dried we added a 1 x 2 accent piece and stained it Classic walnut to finish off the look. We also updated the door knobs to give more of a rustic feel.

shiplap board and batten wall

We absolutely loved the way that it turned out and definitely gives more of the coastal farmhouse look that ties into the rest of our home.

shiplap board and batten wall

Shortly after we finished, we added hooks to the corner by the bench and it was the perfect finishing touch.

CribbsStyle

• Fay34273850

Could you use the peel and stick boards to do this/ i don't have a saw.

• Cindy McMahan

The spacing between the boards looks wider than a nickel. Did you stack x amount of nickels to get a desired spacing? When you painted did you make it a point to get the brush into the spacing? I'm wondering if you can see the wall between the boards. Y'all did a really good job! It really does take the focus off all the doors. Thank you for sharing!

• Kim

Not sure what they did but I had a blue wall that I wanted to cover in wood so I just went for it but half way through I noticed that the blue WAS shining though so I had to take it all down, paint the wall and re-apply!!Lesson learned the hard way!

• Wesley J Barisoff

Hometalk just sent me an email saying board and batten was out and to put up fake bricks instead...... which is it Hometalk?!

• D

I would never choose bric pattern. I've been there and done that. Shiplap is definitely my choice.

• Debbie Hewitt

I am going to try this idea when we move into our new home that is 118 years old

• Debbie Hewitt

It will be awhile because we aren’t planning to move to the new house until May. We are moving from Arizona to Indiana so it takes planning...I do promise I will send you pics when I finish the first wall!