Here is where we started. These were clearly dated chairs with faded and stained seats, and a woven cane back rest.
Old & Ugly to New & Chic Dining Chairs
I got these chairs for FREE! Someone thought these chairs were garbage, but I saw a great opportunity. I've re-upholstered plenty of chairs, but I never upholstered the back of a chair, but that changed with this project.
The first thing I did was remove the back. I used a scissors to start cutting it out and then a box cutter and pliers to clean up the edges. Then I removed the seats.
Some of the chairs needed a few repairs that were easily fixed with some wood glue. One chair has a good chunk of wood broken out so I filled it with wood filler and sanded it smooth after it fully dried.
I gave each chair a thorough cleaning with a vinegar and water mixture. After they were all dry, I started painting with Rust-Oleum Chalked Charcoal spray paint. Each chair was also sprayed with Rust-Oleum Clear Matte Top Coat.
For the back, I used a solid color material that matched the design material. Once I stapled the piece of the back that will show, I lined it with a strong felt material and padding before I covered it with the main design. To cover any rough edges/staples, I made upholstery cords by using fabric glue to adhere the fabric to a thin rope. The cords were then hot-glued around the edge of the back rest.
Here are the four final chairs!
Before and After