How do I keep mice away from inside and outside of my home?

+5

What is the best way to keep mice away in both winter and summer months?

• Margie Gray Perkins Margie Gray Perkins on Dec 07, 2018

Mice hare Peppermint, You can buy the plants for the outside and the the peppermint spray for spraying the doors inside and outside.

• Kim Kim on Dec 13, 2018

I put peppermint tea bags around like plumbing lines. Winter and summer haven't seen any mice.

• Go around the base of your house on the outside and fill all the cracks and crevices with spray foam like this. Unlike steel wool, which they can chew through, they will not chew through the spray foam...

• Oliva Oliva on Dec 07, 2018

Remove rock piles, stacks of wood, tall grass/weeds, pet foods, pet droppings, berries, blue rug juniper or similar (creates hiding places). Keep grass seed in a tightly closed container.

Avoid putting birdseed out as it draws deer and rodents (whether in your yard or that of adjacent neighbors).

If your car is stored over winter, place many dryer fabric softener sheets under the hood, in the trunk, as well as in the car interior areas, including glove box. There should be no food or drink, and no residue of these areas, which can attract them.

Check your walls, floors, attic for cracks or openings and seal them with foam sealant. Mice need only an opening the size of a dime to enter.

Grow castor bean plants, alliums, daffodils, or spray areas around your home and shed with peppermint, clove, etc. to deter mice. Do not grow tulip bulbs, which can attract deer and rodents.

Keep your mulch levels below 4 " to reduce hiding places.

Wrap trees to 3' with tree wrap, and make a perimeter of hardware cloth around trees.

• Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Dec 08, 2018

Sdd,. Put cat hair in small envelopes, and puncture holes in them and spread them around the bottom cabinets. Get a cat if you can. Aloha!

• Seth Seth on Dec 08, 2018

Mice will chew through foam sealant. They make a type of foam with a repellent in it, but I don't know how well it works. Fill any voids with copper wool (steel wool might rust) and them caulk or foam.

• Chachi Carrah Chachi Carrah on Dec 08, 2018

We live surrounded by corn and soy bean fields. Spray foam will not prevent mice from chewing through. Stuff holes with steel wool, then seal with foam or caulking. Spray foam might work for one summer, but it must be reapplied frequently and you must pay attention to all cracks and crevices. If you have a basement or basement concrete floors with cracks, be sure to seal those, too. Mice can and will come through cracks in cement blocks and will come up through cracks in concrete floors. Don’t ask me how I know....

• Ellis Ellis on Dec 08, 2018

Since mice hate peppermint, get some peppermint oil and soak cotton balls with it. Place balls in old nylon stocking toes, or in bags made from nylon or plastic mesh (from fruit bags or made from old nylon mesh scrub puffs).

Then put those little packs of peppermint-soaked cotton anywhere you have seen or suspect mice. Change them out every couple of months.

For those who have mentioned steel wool, Seth is right. I've found copper mesh for sale at Home Depot and Amazon, it's pricey, but worth it, since it lasts.