How to Paint Interior Doors

$30

Paint is one of the most affordable ways to improve your home. Whether you're a fan of neutral or bold tones, don't be afraid to tackle painting your doors! It's a fast way to update and improve the look of any room in just a couple of hours.

We've created a video tutorial with 26 tips for painting interior doors! Be sure to watch for helpful ideas to make your project a success!

how to paint interior doors

So, we started with a door that was white. We wanted to add color, but you may just wish to freshen up the white on your doors. It's important to wash the door thoroughly before painting. Then, remove the hardware.

how to paint interior doors

Because our doors have faux wood grain, we decided it was best to brush on the paint rather than roll it. Check out the video to see if a roller or brush is best for your doors. Start at the top, using thin coats. It's helpful to brush toward the edge and follow the grain.

how to paint interior doors

Apply paint to center of panels, then spread with grain.

how to paint interior doors

Working in sections, be sure to smooth paint and keep brush strokes clean.

how to paint interior doors

You may need to clean your brush mid project. This minimizes brush strokes. Once the paint is completely dry, start the next coat. Depending in the color you choose, you may need 3 coats to achieve the look you want.

how to paint interior doors

And the finished product! We love the way this navy looks in our space. It adds such a pretty touch. What color might you try to use?

Remodelaholic

• Julie

Can you put a stain on the door to make them look like wood doors

• NancyMaria

And they have kits with tools that you can add wood like grain to the job.

• Nancy Bay

I have brown panel colored doors that I would like to paint white.....how can this be done correctly and what type of paint should I use that is not super expensive ?

• Cheryl Rambo

There is a great primer by Valspar that is available @ Lowe's. I have faux wood doors in my condo. Painted on the primer, let dry at least 24 hrs depending on weather. Paint with any color. Since I painted the doors white, no need for second coat. I used a chip brush. Yes, a chip brush for both coats. Came out flawlessly. Good luck.

• Jean Meyer

Is this same procedure for metal doors?

• Anna F Basler

Talk the paint department specialist at your local store. They will be able to tell which type paint to use on metal. It would be different.