Remodelaholic
Remodelaholic
  • New York, NY

How to Paint Interior Doors

$30

Paint is one of the most affordable ways to improve your home. Whether you're a fan of neutral or bold tones, don't be afraid to tackle painting your doors! It's a fast way to update and improve the look of any room in just a couple of hours.

We've created a video tutorial with 26 tips for painting interior doors! Be sure to watch for helpful ideas to make your project a success!

how to paint interior doors

So, we started with a door that was white. We wanted to add color, but you may just wish to freshen up the white on your doors. It's important to wash the door thoroughly before painting. Then, remove the hardware.

how to paint interior doors

Because our doors have faux wood grain, we decided it was best to brush on the paint rather than roll it. Check out the video to see if a roller or brush is best for your doors. Start at the top, using thin coats. It's helpful to brush toward the edge and follow the grain.

how to paint interior doors

Apply paint to center of panels, then spread with grain.

how to paint interior doors

Working in sections, be sure to smooth paint and keep brush strokes clean.

how to paint interior doors

You may need to clean your brush mid project. This minimizes brush strokes. Once the paint is completely dry, start the next coat. Depending in the color you choose, you may need 3 coats to achieve the look you want.

how to paint interior doors

And the finished product! We love the way this navy looks in our space. It adds such a pretty touch. What color might you try to use?

Remodelaholic

• Jean Meyer

Is this same procedure for metal doors?

• Anna F Basler

Talk the paint department specialist at your local store. They will be able to tell which type paint to use on metal. It would be different.

• Melissa

Beautifully done! Such a doable project that adds far more than the time & cost! What do you do about painting the edges of a door that is one color on the front and another on the back?

• Marti87114

I have brown plastic hallow construction doors that look hideous! Please help me with suggestions to redo them? Too cost prohibitive to replace with good doors right now. Later will do that one door at a time. Thank you, very much!

• Sharon Gott Griffin

Paint them, wallpaper them, decopauge them, hang pictures in them (3 small framed prints in a vertical row) Use chalkboard paint on the ones near the kids rooms or kitchen. Just a few ideas.

• Virginia Long

Great job and what a great color !! As you can see , I love that color blue. I did the exterior of my house a couple of years ago. Everybody in my neighborhood either has a white house or a beige house. Well when I did my house this color blue everybody raved about it. I just did my bathroom over and was going to get a new vanity similar to the blue that you used. I saved myself $800 and did it myself. Picture of the vanity doesn't have all the hardware on it yet.

• Sharon Gott Griffin

Very chic! Love this look!