Drink Tray Repurposed

$5

Well I finally got into the holiday spirit! So my youngest has settled down with his girlfriend and bought a couch and tv. So I thought I would make him a sofa tray. I had this wine cork board someone had made me and it was falling apart and I didn’t want to trash it.

Removing the corks
Removing the corks

most of the corks came off easy the problem with hot glue gun is glue becomes brittle and does hold. I used the claw side of hammerto remove most corks.

Removing stubborn glue
Removing stubborn glue

After I got most of it off I had to use a flat scraper to remove stubborn glue and chucks of cork. When I got most of it off I also took my orbital sander to the whole thing prepping for paint.

First choice was slate tiles
First choice was slate tiles

I was going to use some leftover slate tiles but I didn’t have enough, time to look through hoarding supplies.

Metallic tiles
Metallic tiles

I had sheets of tile they weren’t the same but I used flat ones around the edges and the texture ones in the center.

Mixing my own chalk paint
Mixing my own chalk paint

I always buy opps for future projects so I had had this sample light gray. I always save yogurt containers for painting projects then they at least get one more use before ending up in our land fill. I pour some paint in and a couple of scoops of plaster of Paris and painted the tray. Once it was dry I sanded a bit and brushed lightly with a aged brown. And whipped most of it off.

Thin layer of glue
Thin layer of glue

I choice to use wood glue rather than mortar to insure that the tiles would not pop loose. I laid them out and pushed them into the glue. Wiping up any extra glue.

Tiles drying
Tiles drying

Here is the finished design the two different tiles worked great together.

Wet grout
Wet grout

I used a pewter grout and made it super wet to get it into the small grout lines.

drink tray repurposed

My wood glue and metal glaze I used over the spray painted brass handles

drink tray repurposed

I had some vintage handles in my stock pile and spray painted them silver. Once I drilled the holes and added to tray they just were covered completely so I went over with metal glaze, mainly cause I didn’t want to remove them and repaint.

Grout dried
Grout dried

I let the watery grout sit until the moisture was gone. Taking a sponge to push into areas where there was a void. Finally wiping it all of it looks beautiful. But I ran into a problem with one of the side walls pulling away. So I went to find brackets.

Corner brackets added
Corner brackets added

i used four small corner brackets and added them strength. I didn’t want it to fall apart first couple uses. I am so excited to wrap it up and give it to them. I spray the whole thing with a clear coat to protect.