Asked on Dec 26, 2018

How do I get rid of mice in my mobile home?

MarjorieCindyHarvest Campbell Larsen
+13

I have placed steel wool in spaces only to find it pushed out. I place sticky traps in areas that I find droppings and seldom find a dead mouse. My cat is a rescue with no front claws and she catches a few on occaision. All my food is in plastic or glass containers. They even pushed a glass lid off a candy bowl and carried foil wrappers to an area near the pipes apparently to nest. My clothing is hanging or in plastic sealable boxes or in heavy plastic bags with Irish Spring SOAP AND teabags. I also set bait of powdered potato flakes, which supposedly expands in their stomach and kills them. It disappears, but I find no evidence it works. Pia seems to be a trophy hunter never has been witnessed to eat one. I take them from her and flush them. I am so tired of cleaning after mice and finding destruction! Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

• Tinyshoes

Marjorie...Make sure the steel wool is stuffed in really good & tight. They should not be able to push the steel wool out. If you must wrap tape around it too. I lived in a mobile home as a single mother with a small child and this is what my dad would do keep them out...I hated them too! Good luck..do you have it underpinned? You can throw poison under it if you do

• Marjorie

Thank you! I actually pushed them in, put a sticky trap over them and taped that to the wall with duct tape.

• Fiddledd224

I would adopt a cat specifically to stay outside and catch mice - or at least scare them. Since you already have a rescue cat, this one will be a great companion (I work at a no-kill shelter and have some experience here) since cats should have companionship of other cats for company and a better quality of life. There will be very little other expense except for food since the cat will be living outside. I highly suggest that you make a warm home for the new cat by taking a large lidded plastic storage box and cutting a hole in the side large enough for the cat to get in and out of. Place a large blanket on the bottom of the box to keep kitty warm in the cold weather. Just make sure it has food and water (besides yummy mice) and your problem will be solved. And another kitty's life saved.

• Gk

Make sure you place your traps close to the walls not out in the middle of an area. Mice walk along the walls. I would also suggest regular traps with a dab of peanut butter. This is how we catch the most mice! Some people insulate around their mobile homes with straw bales-unfortunately this makes a great home for mice in the winter! We deal with this EVERY fall--as much as we do to keep them out they still get in. I have always wondered HOW they manage to drag acorns in from outside!! I find acorns and sunflower seeds that we feed the birds in my basement laundry room--in piles--in bins--in drawers! I often wonder exactly how many creatures I am living with in my house that I don't know exist!!

• Marjorie

My traps are with peanut butter and chocolate chips are along walls, behind my mirowave and in corners. I am not good at setting regular traps and can not empty them. The yuch factor gets me. I am amazed I have been able to be civilized when PIA wakes me with one in my face.....Thank you !

• Dana Mason

Around our water pipes we stuffed the steel wool in and then filled it up with "Great Stuff". In the floor registers, I bought rat wire and cut them to the shape of the hole and put them in under the floor vents (because we had a hole in the ductwork somewhere and that was how they were getting in.

Another thing that I have found works is Peppermint Oil. Mice hate Peppermint and will go out of their way to avoid it. .... Just sprinkle a little bit in the vents and around the pipes once a day.... just a couple drops at a time.

Good Luck!

• Cindy

Hi Marjorie. I'm Cindy. I did a bit of reading on this topic and here are some methods to keep mice out of your mobile home: Store garbage outside in cans with lids. Keep your yard clean and free of accumulating stuff. Check the caulking outside and inside your mobile home. You should have a line of caulking on all edges of your mobile home. Push bits of FLUFFED-UP steel wool into holes and openings around cables going into your home. Marjorie, I hope some of these ideas help you, and I'm wishing you all the best.

• Marjorie

I will check cable holes this weekend. I have been working on inside, maybe I need to go out!

• Harvest Campbell Larsen

I found the plug in work just make sure its no hit soft things like couch etc

• Marjorie

Electronic plugins? I have 1 in my hall, 1 by my microwave. I didn't see a difference and have had them a while. How long should they last?

• Cindy

Marjorie, It's Cindy again. It was very nice to write me back. Thank you. I told my husband about your mouse problems. He lived in a mobile home in younger years. He wanted me to write to you again and share how he solved the same problem. He said to wear gloves and toss mouse poison under your mobile home, on both ends. Just take a pieces of skirting off on each end. Throw some poison under each end and then replace the skirting. He said to wash your hands afterward because of working with poison. Best of luck Marjorie.

• Marjorie

Cindy, Thank you for additional information. I have refrained from using poison because of my cat. I am afraid the mice will make it in the house and she will consume it. For being a reformed alley cat she has a sensitive stomach. I am afraid poison will be worse than yogurt. Am I wrong?