A BETTER Place for My Plants

$45

We have a variety of plants that we brought inside for the winter. Although I have a grow light stand I don't have a good place to set it up.

I told my hubby what I'd really like and he set about figuring it out. I'll say right now there was a glitch in the plan but we got it sorted out at the end and I love the set up.

a better place for my plants

Meanwhile the plants set on the floor at the top of our stairway. I didn't like it at all. I needed something closer to the wall and decided the stand itself was too deep so I'd unclip the light from the stand and hang it on the shelving unit we were building. Since there is a plug in at the top of the stairs it would work well. This ugly space would look better after we were done.

a better place for my plants

The main thing needed was wood. We went with cheap but sturdy 2x3x8's for the frame and 1x8x8's for the shelving portion.

a better place for my plants

We built the framing sections so that 2 were taller because there was a single stair step to the right along the wall at the top of the steps.

a better place for my plants

Next we notched out some of the wood so that it would interlock with the frame.

a better place for my plants

We also decided to paint the walls and the wall unit the same olive green color.

Side note: Eventually the carpet is coming out and the rest of the walls painted because I've seen some fantastic stairway makeovers here on Hometalk!

a better place for my plants

I got the paint for $5- I love when they sell mistakes and it's a color I want, lol. I've never used this "Dutch Boy Forever" type of paint but I have to say it's the best paint ever- 1 coat and done!

a better place for my plants

So here are some of the framing, shelves, and notched pieces painted and ready to assemble.

a better place for my plants

Each notched piece was slid into place while the frame is upside down.....

a better place for my plants

And then the notched pieces were screwed to the frame and the unit turned right side up to lay the shelves on the unit.

a better place for my plants

Then the wall unit was slid into place at the top of the stairway. The glitch we ran into was forgetting that the trim was unusually high and deep which caused a large gap between the unit and wall. So we removed it and.....

a better place for my plants

We cut off a bottom back portion of the 3 frame pieces so that the unit could be attached to the wall without a gap. Problem solved!

Attaching it to the wall with screws keeps everything on the unit safe and secure!

a better place for my plants

To hang the grow light we added cup hooks under a shelf. We also bought a timer so that we didn't have to manually turn the light on and off each day.

a better place for my plants

We had everything except the wood and paint but I've listed all materials and tools below for you.

a better place for my plants

It's a wonderful, functional space for more then plants since it is the height and width of that wall.

a better place for my plants

There is plenty of space to walk past it. And that ugly space looks pretty good now and is a MUCH better place for my plants!

• Barbara Artis Dunham

How do you handle a huge fern? I brought mine in and mist is regularly, but it is not looking so good.

• Lynn Sorrell

They always loose leaves even out doors you can cut them off but they still need water as usual Can't beleive so many of you just dump them WOW!

• Terre Tulsiak

How do you know how much light a certain plant needs?- as opposed to indirect light from windows.

It looks like you are very handy- I wish you were in Tampa- I have lots of wood and no skills.

• Lynn Sorrell

If your are asking about light from a full spectrum light,regular day light bulb,incandescentbulbs, inside from any bulbs it's the same as if they are in window no difference.you can put the lights on timers to coordinate with summer hrs. so they get what they need round the clock. so 12 on 12 off no less than 6-8 hrs a day light or they won't make it. The more light the better they grow. All house plants need a regular days worth of light no matter where it's coming from & some need warmth too & no drafts. Hope this helps

• Karrie

Beautiful! And what a clever use of space! Very nice. Thank you for sharing. :)

• Dee
    30 minutes ago

I'm inspired by your execution and creativity I love it!!!